SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hhireno

You'd think a Realtor would know better

hhireno
10 years ago

One sister is considering moving so I went along to see 2 potential places. Her realtor said the first ranch was purchased by a group of realtors to flip.

I was stunned by what a shoddy job they did and wondered was I more critical because of my time spent here on GW? They replaced all the doors with cheap, hollow doors ($13 price sticker was still on one) and only painted one coat of paint or primer, and they forgot to do the edges. The closet slider doors didn't have any hardware so it was hard to open them. They left one old door on the linen closet so it's the only door that doesn't match. It desperately needed paint.

They claimed the house was fully repainted but clearly it wasn't. Many of the rooms were painted in the same color but it wasn't done neatly nor was every room freshly painted. They didn't do any of the baseboards and must have pulled up carpet so not only were they dinged and dirty, there were uneven borders from the last time someone painted them when there was still carpet in the rooms.

They replaced all the ceiling light fixtures- bedrooms, baths, dining room, hallways- with the same boob light that they probably bought in a multi-pack at a big box store. I wonder if they trashed some cool, retro lights for these generic, cheap looking things? They put identical light fixtures over both bathroom sinks, even though there really wasn't enough room in the hall bath. It looked okay in the master but ridiculously cramped in the hall. Another multi-pack purchase I suspect.

They put in new kitchen cabinets without hardware, basic but nice enough granite, a faucet that was plastic, 2 types of backslash in a small, galley kitchen, and forgot to paint the bottom of the soffits. The toe kick under the cabs stuck out beyond the cab and was a raw edge, not finished or capped. It's a small kitchen and would have be so much better served if they had removed the soffit and put in taller cabinets. The tile work of the backsplash was a bit wonky at a light switch.

The place was dirty. Construction debris on the cellar stairs, none of the floors were swept, the new windows were dirty. According to my sister's realtor, they're paying someone to stage the house later this week. I hope it includes a good cleaning, that's what it needed most. If ranch houses are in such demand and sell quickly, why are they bothering with staging? Maybe we can go back after the staging to see what was done.

It annoys me that they hope to "wow" someone with their mediocre, poorly executed changes when it would have been better to let someone buy it and do it right. I hope any potential buyers notice all the things we did and point them out when they negotiate the price down.

My sister is an DIYer and would have done a much better job. As it is, if she would buy it she'll have to redo things. I wouldn't trust they installed the new applicances correctly since the whole place looked so sloppy. I wouldn't buy until I ran the dishwasher and checked for leaks.

In the flyer about the house they wrote the house doesn't need a thing. True, it needs many things.

The 2nd ranch was in better shape but the family didn't look ready to list it. We were told it was in the market for about 2 weeks and had many showings but no offers. The house was full of wedding portraits and baby photos and personal mementos, all the stuff they suggest you remove when selling. The basement was FULL of stuff. On the plus side, it did show just how much stuff the basement could store and that there probably isn't a water problem down there.

Comments (6)