SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Dining Room or ?????? (warning: lots of confused babbling inside)

lkplatow
13 years ago

Since we moved into this house, our dining room has been a playroom - basically, the furniture consists of bins and bins of toys, a train table and a computer desk.

We're putting a playroom/home office in the basement which is going to completely free up the dining room. I had originally planned to go the conventional route with dining room furniture, but now I'm not so sure. Would love your opinions on what to do wtih my newly-free room.

Our house is farmhouse style, furnished pretty casual with a lot of flea market finds and hand me downs. We aren't formal people and I don't have any interest in a formal dining room set or anything fancy. In fact, I've had a flea market farmhouse table and some antique chairs stashed in the basement waiting for the day that the toys would leave my dining room.

But in the meantime, we purchased another farmhouse table for our eat-in kitchen -- it seats 8, which is pretty much the same number that we'd fit in the dining room (at most, we could fit 10 in there). We rarely have tons of people over and when we do, it's always casual buffet type entertaining, not formal sit-down dinners. We had a huge group on July 4th and could have used some extra table space, but that's the first time in 8 years of living here that I've actually thought "wow, I wish I had a dining room table" and that was only because it was too dang hot outside to use the outside table space. Now I do host Christmas every year and that's getting a bit crowded (we usually have between 9-12 people). We'd been cramming the kids in between us or using a card table for them, but that might not work as well once they get bigger -- but then again, it might also be weird to have half the family in the dining room and the other half in the kitchen, no? (the dining room is pretty isolated and not really close to the kitchen eating space.) So maybe I could just get by with the card table when we need it.

Anyhow, I've been toying around with what else I could do with the room. I'd really love a library -- this house has no built in shelves and all my books are currently housed in a few cheap ikea shelves in the spare bedroom. I need a table on which to spread out my laptop (I currently use the island in the kitchen but it ends up looking cluttered and messy and gets in the way of food prep). Or, we currently have our grand piano crammed into a corner in the living room - it would be really nice to make a "music room" with the piano, my kids band instruments from school, the music stands, etc. But I'd really need to be sure about this one, since I'd have to pay piano movers to come and move the piano from one end of the house to the other.

I'm thinking there's a way that I can get most, if not all, of my wishlist here -- I've seen pics of dining room/library combos and music room/library combos, though of course, I can't find any now that I'm looking for them, LOL! One problem is that I do have an antique corner cabinet that's got to go into the dining room -- it's an heirloom and probably the most valuable piece of furniture we own, and there's really no other spot for it in the house (even if I move the piano, that corner is hemmed in by doors and windows and doesn't have enough wall space to accomodate the cabinet). So I couldn't have shelves around the whole room - I'd have to save a corner for the cabinet.

So I guess I'm just looking for inspiration pics and maybe some opinions on the pros and cons of turning the dining room into something else. If I don't have a dining room table, will I regret it? Will it look odd to have the ceiling fixture and no table under it? Without a table in there, how can I get a little spot for my laptop? Anyhow, if you've made it this far, thanks for reading all my rambling -- your opinions are most welcome!

Comments (22)