SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
osprey41

Doorwall bay rotting against stamped concrete patio

osprey41
10 years ago

Hope some gurus can weigh in here.

I have a 6 year old house (pic attached) that's mostly brick, but is wood in a few areas like the doorwall bay (as shown). 4 years ago, had a stamped concrete patio installed right up to the bay. I believe a vapor barrier was put in place, but as you can imagine, the wood underneath the doorwall (both the trim directly underneath and supporting wood behind the trim) are now starting to rot. The patio covers up about 6" of the bay and is separated by (from what I can tell) only a fabric concrete expansion strip.

I've had several carpenters come out to quote on fixing it, but the estimates and fixes have varied from trying to take out the concrete steps and replacing wood with fake "PVC wood" to just chiseling out the rot, replacing the trim and flashing everything to prevent further water intrusion.

Any thoughts on the best path forward for repair? I may end up contracting out the work, but am not particularly savvy with regard to wood rot and making an appropriate fix. Perhaps it's something I can fix myself.

One other concern is that there is a small-ish air gap under the bay to gravel / earth / crushed concrete beneath - if I fixed the trim and prevented water intrusion from outside, will I still get burned by moisture under the bay? (The patio installed assured me no, but he was selling a patio).

Any thoughts are appreciated,

Steve

Comments (9)