SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdew1920

Integrating stone column w/ deck

jdew1920
16 years ago

Maybe one of you guys can help me out with this.

I'm getting ready to start our deck and it is going to be a little unique. Right now we have an existing 8'x18' concrete patio that sits about 18" above grade. The old deck used to just wrap around this and basically looked like a total after thought.

I am planning on having the slab on the patio replaced with stamped concrete (apparently they can remove the slab only and leave the existing walls/footings and replace just the top). In addition I am having a new stamped concrete patio placed off to the side and wrapping around the current patio - this will be at grade so will have steps down to this area - this will be around 150SF.

Although I don't like the maintanace of a deck I do like the look and feel of real wood so I am going to add a small deck off the front of the existing patio (will be same level as patio). It will be 12x12' or 12'x14' - big enough for a seating area w/ table and chairs. I am also building a pergola to extend over the existing patio and new deck.

I have seen photos where the design integrates a masonary column of stone/brick/etc. I would like to do this on the outside 2 corners of my deck so that the column extends about 40" above deck surface to act as part of the railing and support for the pergola posts.

Are these colulmns usually built as part of the deck support - meaning could I use them in place of a post? I have a hard time figuring how to make this work since I think these columns are usually built of ciderblock with a facade of stone or brick. Or should the deck be built around them so that it gives the illusion that they are part of the deck support? Only issue there is it adds to number of footings reguired.

Secondary question is if a column like this is used how can a wooden post to be used for supporting a pergola be attached?

Comment (1)