SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wellspring_gw

Path Renovation

wellspring
11 years ago

Okay, I've not posted here for some time, but I've been around GW for years.
In gardening years I'm not quite a newby. A baby maybe? I think that's what I am after 15 years or so of experiments, patio container designs, raised bed building, lasagna techniques in the garden beds, putting in mulch paths hither and yon, and trying to figure out the hearts' desire of various and sundry plant types.
I can't post pictures. It's a blind thing. Actually, I do use the camera feature on my cell phone -- I can use it to identify colors, money, etc.
But I don't think I can get a pic of my problem.

I'll have to try a verbal landscape, eh?

The problem is the east side of my garage. It's the ugliest thing about my whole garden, and that might be saying something. I keep holding out for the 20K reno that would include, among other things, the path along the garage side of the house.

In the late fall I was wandering around pondering projects. It occurred to me that we will either die or move before we can afford the significant hardscape work I wish we could do.

So what's wrong with this path?

1. It's gravel. Previous owners, we think, periodically added new gravel. Underneath a few inches there are stepping stones. Buried stepping stones.

2. Right along the garage there is a narrow flower bed. I can't use a tape measure, but I'd say 2' deep at best.
Lots of things are willing to grow in this bed, which I've used in part as one of my holding beds.

3. There is rotted wood edging framing the outer edge of the flower bed and outer edge of the gravel path. It is significantly rotted out. My husband has removed sections of this edging near the gate to the backyard. He's been asked for several years by someone -- um, me -- to remove the rest. Hasn't happened.

4. Weeds. I spend more and more time each summer trying to keep this path reasonably clear of weeds. I never succeed.

Here's where the help comes in. I've read lots on these forums, but my memory is going, so I need a sort of refresher course on path options.

Also, because a part of me is still holding out for winning the lottery and putting some money into this, I don't want to put tons of money into a simple renovation.

I am also aware that this path will always need periodic attention. But maybe I can move it into something better than it currently is.

My plan --

Under the gravel path are stepping stones. In our garage are more stepping stones that we found in various places in the garden. There are several sizes and shapes. I know I have at least one over-sized circle and one over-sized decagon? Anyway, multiple sided. There isn't anything beautiful about these pieces of concrete, but they are functional. And I seem to have them in abundance.

What I'm trying to imagine is removing all the nasty wood edging material and then work with the whole width of the area. I think it may be about 5 to 6 feet. It might not be quite that narrow, but it's really not very wide.

I think I want to try using plant material intentionally with the stepping stones. I think I have enough stepping stones to do a sort of double irregular ribbon rather than just the line of stones done previously. I think I'd like to try to use all these stepping stones, I mean, why not?

I know none of this is precise and you don't have a picture to confirm what I'm saying, but is any of this a generally okay idea?

What would you do with a gravel weed pit along the side of your house?

Comments (9)