SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Stain and paint my stairs!?

User
14 years ago

I check out Georgiagal's blog, Southern Hospitality, frequently. Last night I read how she stained her stairs darker. I then ended up on another bloggers link that was inspired by Georgiagal and she did hers. Now I'm considering doing mine!

Here are my steps. They're only a little over a year old so replacing isn't an option. If I would've put an ounce of thought into it when we built I would've done dark wood and iron. We just ran to Lowes and grabbed these quick. They're ok but I don't love them.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Georgiagal's blog

http://southernhospitality-rhoda.blogspot.com/2008/01/polyshades-stain-project.html

I could save and repost a pic from Georgiagal's. Click on the link to see hers.

Centsational Girl's blog

http://www.centsationalgirl.com/2009/07/staircase-reveal-part-one.html

before

{{!gwi}}

after

{{!gwi}}

I was thinking of staining the top rail, newel, and handrail dark (like Centsational Girl did with the stain and semi-opaque Burnt Umber acrylic craft paint) and painting the spindles and floor pieces white? Or should the floor pieces be the dark stain like Georgiagal's?

Biggest problem in my mind is the spindles being oak. Centsational Girl has info on her blog about painting oak and fillers yadda ya.

What do you think of all this? Have I gone mad? What to do with the floor pieces of wood? White paint or dark stain?

I also want to add my kitchen is light oak and will stay that way. I tried to tell myself the stairs were ok because the kitchen was also oak. . . There was a detailing issue and that's why there's moulding across my stair wall. I thinking of painting the white back plate on the wall, the wall color. Also maybe painting the brackets. Maybe change that white moulding to the wall color as well... ? Could be tricky where the door trim and wall moulding meet.

p.s. DH doesn't even know I'm considering this. I think I could handle staining it darker however, if it looks bad when I'm done I'm NOT convinced I can strip it. The one thing i tried to refinish I gave up not even half way through. It's sitting in my basement.

Comments (31)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!