SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaisermust

Questions for those who have sewn or had made drapes from panels

kaisermust
12 years ago

I need 144 x 84 drapes for my big LR picture window which I open and close every day with my traverse rod (don't care to have the neighbors seeing me in my PJ's!). It's been over 20 yrs since I last bought ready-made pinch-pleated draperies from JC Penney and now Penney's sells only one style of ready-made pinch-pleats and those too are in the process of being discontinued. I simply can't afford custom-made drapes--even at halfpricedrapes.com the size I need still would wind up costing close to $1000. I simply don't have that kind of money for new drapes. So I thought I could buy panels and take them to a seamstress (I don't sew) to either make pinch-pleat drapes or at least sew the panels together. I found the perfect panel (50"x84") at Lowes--a thermal insulated panel which matches my decor great! And it's a back-tab (or reverse-tab I think they call it). For those of you who sew/work with drapes, how difficult is it to sew panels together and how difficult and expensive would it be to have the alterations place put in pinch-pleats? Or--has anyone with back-tab panels just sewn panels together and then use pin-on hooks in the back-tabs on their traverse rod? I've already tried pinning one panel up and closing it on the traverse rod and the material seems willing to fold, i.e. pleat on its own easily. I figure I would need 3 panels per side so my investment in the panels would run about $150. Even with alterations costing say another $150 (guestimate?) this would give me pinch-pleat drapes in the fabric pattern I love for what my budget can afford. If anyone has thought of or tried to do what I'm thinking I would love to hear how successful--or unsuccessful it was.

Comments (14)