SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

Slate Appliance questions for those who have had them awhile

andrelaplume2
6 years ago

I will try to set the scene. Our home is about 25 years old and came with oak cabinets in the open floor plan kitchen. These are not the orangey oak cabinets you may I've seen there more of a darker stained Oak but still Brown I like them I have no intention of replacing them. When we moved in 12 years ago we replaced the main appliances with bisque ones and I think they look great. it is becoming harder to get bisque appliances. My wife thinks perhaps they're dated looking. Perhaps they are I don't know... personally I think a bisque appliance with some stainless steel trim would look right. However short of me looking for some stainless steel handles I'm left with picking another color. Our cabinet knobs and trim rings around are recessed lights or a nickel so one would think stainless steel appliances would be the way to go. However I just cannot bring myself to do it... they smudge they get dirty I just can't do it. We saw slate. They are Matt and at first I really like them. I was sold on them although only GE seemed to sell them. I was trying not to let a bad experience with a recent GE washing machine spoil the vibe on the brand and we were considering buying them. Then we saw black stainless and fell in love with them. However after a lot of research tonight I'm thinking this isn't for us... I did not realize they are simply stainless with a coating and they scratch and peel and dent and ding so I am now reconsidering the Slate which probably would look very good in our kitchen. For those who have had slate awhile have you gotten used to the matte color of them. Are they hard to clean. Do they show dirt. Do they chip easy. Has the paint peeled. Do they seem as durable as maybe your old bisque or white appliances once were. Does any other brand other than GE make such appliances. And finally how have your GEs held up if that's what you have. Thank you

Comments (4)