SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tifflee_gw

DIY removal of mirrors mounted on wood glued to wall - possible?

tifflee
13 years ago

We are in the process of remodeling an old house. In the master bedroom, one wall is covered by mirror panels which are mounted on a large wood frame. The wood frame is seemingly glued to the drywall. There may also be a few nails holding it to the wall, but we are not sure if those nails are holding the frame together, adhering it to the wall, or both.

We asked a local glass company about the project and they told us they could remove the mirror, but removing the wood was not their type of project and recommended we find a separate handyman service for that. We called two and one came out. He said removal of everything including the mirrors would cost $500, not including disposal fees. He was a teensy annoyed when we said we could do any drywall repairs and painting ourselves.

Now we are wondering if it is possible to remove this ourselves. I haven't had much luck finding tips on how to remove wood-backed mirrors from walls since most people seem to be removing just mirror panels. I would spread some sheets underneath to protect the flooring and to also catch any mirror bits. I know to tape off the mirror panels for safety, but the bigger issue is how to remove the wood.

A photo of the set-up can be seen here: http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd425/tifflee5/mirror.jpg.

Thanks for sharing any experiences or advice you might have!

Comments (6)