SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mnovak99_gw

Looking for Suggestions for exterior makeover

mnovak99
10 years ago

Attached is a picture of my home. The left side is a former small modular 3 bedroom ranch. The right side is an addition I had done 25 years ago. At the same time I did a complete re-model putting in all new andersen windows along with western red cedar vertical siding over 1/2" foam board. Everything is in good condition and has held up very well over the years. Problem is cedar requires a lot of maintenance. Power washing every few years and re-staining. Along with that woodpeckers have become a problem (seems to be a new national problem that is getting worse each year). Insects and bees also are attracted to cedar which requires treatments. I am thinking about replacing the cedar with some other type of siding. Possibly Hardiplank, or high end vinyl. Maybe vinyl shakes in a light green or yellow with lots of white trim. White fascia boards, wide white trim around the windows, white corner trim, a big white post to replace my skinny cedar one holding up the porch roof, etc. Any other thoughts? Maybe I should just power wash again and stain with a solid cedar stain and hope it lasts longer than the semi-transparent I have been using over the years. Am I crazy for thinking of tearing off this beautiful cedar? Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (21)