SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leya12

Looking for suggestions exterior colors

leya12
14 years ago

I'm looking for some suggestions for an exterior color, would like to add some shutters keep in mind the roof is very dark terracata color...

thanks

Comments (16)

• randita
    14 years ago

Can you post a picture? That would really help.

• leya12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i wish i knew how, someone (funcolors) did it for me on our thread which is under exterior colors for mediteranean house
    It is the ranch house all the way at the bottom of the thread. I sure hope you can view it.
    desperately awaiting a suggestion, want to get started
    thanks

• leya12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

• leya12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

• leya12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

anyway, keeping in mind, door needs to be changed it doesn't meet florida code, so you can be creative in color and roof is very low and dark terracata color which is why i can't do what i really wanted at first (key west), it would clash with tile on porch and roof.
    good luck!

• leya12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

we are getting

pavers also for the driveway

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Okay have some virtuals done. Just a mash up of a variety of colors that I think would work with the roof.

Double baquette is first. Your house is shaded, mine was not so it may look a different but I tried to duplicate best I could.

Lighter tone from the roof

This is fun. Key West and I think color! :)

A yellow-green would look fabulous, IMO. But you have to really like this kind of color.

Along the same lines, a deeper, richer yellow green like a Mossy Gold

Key West pastel-y and colorful. I actually like how fresh and creme de menthe this Light Sage looks.

Painting the gutters a darker color from the roof helps, IMO. Can leave white, but I think a darker color finishes the *edges* and makes the roof and body color a little more connected; gives a more cohesive feel overall.

And you know that the color you're seeing on the monitor is only a loose representation of in-real-life colors.

You have to use the virtuals as inpiration to finding actual paint chips/colors.

• teppy
    14 years ago

funcolors-please tell me which software you used to do the renderings. i have tried the benjamin moore virtual painter, but as much as i try to take a photo that the program with like, the colors never look right. i have PSCS, but am not as skilled as you are if thats what your using.

• leya12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

if I add shutters to that window with the big molding, should I do the shutters white with any of the base colors?
    I love what you suggested about the gutters being darker what is a good color to paint them?

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

I kind of think that window isn't the kind of window that can wear a set of shutters. :) I can put a set on later for you to see what I mean. The color for the gutters, tipy-top trim if there is any should be taken from the roof. Like a super dark nutmeg color is what I'm seeing from here.

teppy, I do use Photoshop and I have been using it a long time -- I know it is not user friendly. I also print pictures that *match* the paint colors I specify. Printing the pix is the only way to get a *match* for people to actually preview a paint color on their house subtractively. Subtractive color is paint color. Monitor color is additive color.

In order to do this, paint and print to *match* chips, requires special profiles, paper that's the right kind of white and just wicked color managment in general. It can be done, just not easily I guess is what I'm sayin'. :)

• leya12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I feel like the yellow, (which I was previously told would clash with the roof and tile) stands out the most.Maybe I can pick a bright yellow, anyway, whichever I choose, should I do the trimmings in brillian white? also since you don't like the shutter idea, what about one of those little awnings over that window, like with a neat fabric?

• teppy
    14 years ago

funcolors, i use printing profiles and my monitor is calibrated with eye1. i use ps enough to edit my photography-levels, color corrections, USM, etc...i am not good at the trick techniques such as putting someones head on someone elses body.

i am trying to figure what color to paint my exterior of my home. if i start another thread with a photo of my house, would you mind?????:) Or, if you would rather give me your workflow for doing this, that would work for me. I will go on and start a thread and if you feel like it you can reply and help me out.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

I'll paint it for ya - either late tonight or sometime tomorrow. I'm out at the pool on a laptop and I can't paint from here. I just read and pass the time while I make sure my kids don't drown or kill each other. :)

Start and new thread with the pic you want painted. Include any color issues, dislikes, likes, neighborhood, etc.

Sounds like you have the back-end under control. I have a favorited palette of *paint colors* that I pull from as well. Once you make layers and cut paths for color, sometimes you have to adjust color - or take it out completely via grayscale - to render *paint colors* so they look somewhat normal in/out of shadow, etc. As you probably know, if you can manage the grays, the nuance of colors, then you're ahead of the color game.

I usally mention closing garage doors, moving cars, hiding trash cans, adjusting window treatments so they're all open or closed, etc. so it looks as purty as it can. :)

• teppy
    14 years ago

great! i just posted a thread. I have been playing around with it a bit. the most i can do is the paint bucket tool and magic wand. i used to be able to make a selection by drawing lines and then fill in. i do not remember how to do that. :( thanks.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Here's the double baquette with black bean shutters.

• leya12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow you are a doll for doing that, I certainly know what I don't want now! Could you do one last image for me, can you make all trim white and the body I believe it's lantern, it's like a very cottagy, keywest, yellow, I am thinking of painting the roof white, and/or keeping it the way it is, wondering if the paint guy was wrong and if it could actually work. thank you, and you'll have to send me your address so I can send you a card or something, you have been very kind