SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen_belle

Generally saying hello and 'I'll be sticking around for a while'

karen_belle
14 years ago

I've been reading GW for a few weeks now and really enjoying the great comments and advice. I couldn't remember my username until I asked for help so I couldn't put my 2 cents in until today.

Anyway, we are in the early stages of construction on our remodel. We knew we had to renovate our 1956 ranch, but we are slow to start. We had a big kick in the butt last March when our house got struck by lightning - a fire in the attic is a good way to get to a gutted house in short order.

It took us a long time to start construction because we had competing goals, an unknown budget and some trauma. The main points of our remodel we agreed on - get rid of the section of flat roof, bring in more light to our open but dark living area, make the family room visible from the kitchen, increase the energy efficiency of the house. I think we've accomplished all of that with our plan.

The contractor started demo on 12/1 and is almost finished with reframing the roof. Unfortunately yesterday we found a pretty major mistake in the framer's calculations, so this afternoon we're going to have an unpleasant conversation with the project manager and company owner. My husband's an attorney and really good negotiator, so I think things will go well when we tell them they're going to have to rip out part of the roof they built and try again. I, on the other hand, am a structural engineer and easily wound up by errors of this nature - I'm going to have to stifle a lot of eye-rolling and huffing when the contractor claims to have just been doing what he thought we wanted. Build to the plan man!

Ok, hopefully that was enough venting. I'll let you know later. ;-)

Comments (22)