SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quiltglo

Seriously stupid question...can I put glass in an exterior door?

quiltglo
17 years ago

We did a whole house remodel two years ago, but several things made it to the bottom of the priority list. After getting settled and trying to get some smaller jobs done, I seem to be unable to find reliable workmen/women at this point. My last guys just couldn't be counted on to show up.

The house was built in '65 and we still have two wood doors to the exterior at the back of the house. I'm not unhappy with the doors, but those areas need some light. The big box stores quote almost $1,000 to replace with fiberglass (which I want to do at some point) without including labor. I really don't want to buy these doors/frames and have them sit for two years until someone can be counted on to get them installed.

Watching the glazer replace my single pane windows, I was wondering why I can just cut out the opening in these wood doors, have a glazer put in double pane glass and then put molding around to fill up the openings? It would get me the light I want for a couple of years until I get them replaced. I haven't found an explanation as to what makes up these doors and I'm not ready to attack them with my jigsaw until I know this would work.

Or maybe the better question is...why won't this work?

Gloria

Comments (18)