SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uscroy

Ok to put 1/4" drywall over a pocket door frame?

uscpsycho
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I need to eek out every bit of space I can in my laundry room because it's going to be a little tight for my side-by-side washer and dryer. On either side of the washer and dryer is a pocket that a pocket door will slide into. (Johnson pocket door frames if it makes a difference.)

I asked my contractor to use 1/4" drywall instead of 5/8" because that will give me an extra 3/8" on both sides. Doesn't sound like much but in this case the additional 3/4" feels like a mile.

My contractor has never put 1/4" drywall over a pocket door frame and he's afraid it's too weak and will develop cracks. Has anyone tried this? Anyone have thoughts on this?

The entire wall here is the pocket which is a little over 36". The walls will be protected by the washer and dryer on both sides so nobody will be leaning on the drywall or anything like that. But pocket door frames don't provide much structural or lateral support so he's afraid movement from the door sliding in and out could create enough torque to crack 1/4" drywall. On the other side of the pocket is standard 5/8" drywall.

Will 1/4" drywall be OK here?

Thanks!

Comments (43)

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure