SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hlove_gw

Remodeling (Construction)Loan, Draws, and Who Pays

hlove
12 years ago

I hope someone can offer some guidance as to what is usually done in a similar case as we are going through now. I'll try to be brief. :)

We are taking out a construction loan with a local bank to remodel our existing, older home. There are 4 projects: remodel kitchen, enclose attached screened porch, add master bath to an existing upstairs room, and remodel an existing bath. Our contractor, who has been recommended by various people, is asking that we provide some money up front to start on the porch remodel, as well as provide money to order the kitchen cabs and windows. When I asked him about his experience working with bank loans, he said he recently came off of a job where the homeowners were working with a bank....the 1st draw was taken BEFORE he did any work ...it was used to cover materials he needed to order for the job.

The bank we were working with previously (but left because their closing costs were extremely high) had said we could take the 1st draw this way, but our current bank is not giving us that impression.

While we are awaiting an additional talk with the loan officer to clarify, has anyone gone through a remodel with type of loan? Is this normally how it's done? How did the draws work and did the bank allow you to draw funds before work was started to order things?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)