SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shaunalee_gw

Drywall repair/Orange Peel Paint/Wood Slats

shaunalee
18 years ago

Ok, I have a headache that I have been putting off for about 5 years and feel now is the time to try to tackle it. I have one wall in my living room that houses the fireplace (brick) and at some point someone thought it would be nice to do that whole wood wall design thing that seems to have been popular in the 1970's. So they used some sort of cheap wood slats and glued them to the wall. Not only do I hate the wood wall thing but they did it cheaply so that certain slats have bubbled out from the wall, they don't match up that well and even have paint on some of them from when someone tried to repaint the room. Today I got sick of it while moving a bookcase covering part of the wall and ripped one off. Underneath is the wall that matches the other 2 walls, just plain white paint with an "orange peel" design. Where the glue was are long brown squiggles of left over glue that is textured. Ok, hope this part makes sense because I don't know what terms to use but you know how drywall has a kind of white paper covering? Parts of that have ripped off leaving that gray color paper behind. My question is as follows:

1. Should I rip all the slats off without worrying about the drywall?

2. Can I scrape off the glue? If I do it also removes parts of the paint since it is textured as well.

3. Once I have everything sanded down and smooth can someone come in and repaint the wall right over the gray patches in the drywall? Do they have to patch it first?

4. If I can just paint it how would it look being smooth since the rest of the walls are orange peel (which I hate anyway) or would it be better to have it done to look like the others?

5. Maybe it's best just to put up some sort of covering? Do they make wall coverings that glue to the wall or nail that aren't tacky?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me! I'm lost here!

Shauna

Comments (8)