SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
simbasue

Bad Seam: Leathered Marron Cohiba/Antique Brown Installed Today

simbasue
11 years ago

Hi,

It has been 10 years since I posted, but I built my house with the help of everyone on this site :)

Lately I have been lurking quietly and went with the Leathered/Antiqued/Satin Marron Cohiba/Antique Brown because of everyone's rave reviews. It was installed today and I mostly love it.

However, I have a bad seam and a significant dimple in the eased edge ( at the seam). The installers said that the cut made at the shop was not the best, and they tried to remedy it with filler. But, because of the texture, the filler lays on top. They tried to play with it, but that seemed to burnish it.

Are you happy with your seams? Any one else have trouble? Can they be brushed down on site and have resin reapplied?

To others considering the stone, I will make these observations. I picked my slab in a snow storm in Denver, and when they went to leather it, they discovered a fissure. I went back and looked at 18 slabs and they went from bad to worse. The majority had large fissures and the worst looked like that were covered with spider webs. I finally "settled" on one because I was told that there was a 4-6 month backorder and there were no guarantees that what they received would look any better.

The veins that I was so worried about look fine. However, the mica bursts (I think it is mica) look like dried puddles of egg whites and they stand out like a sore thumb in my pantry where the lights are always on. And, yet I don't notice them at all on 11 foot piece the kitchen.

I like the stone and am happy with the install except for the botched seam.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments (6)