SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

My worst CL experience ever - I may never buy used again!

juddgirl2
14 years ago

Bellaflora - this is just a duplicate of the email I sent you. I'm just too traumatized to rewrite the experience ;-)

So, there was this fantastic buffet/hutch posted on CL that I rushed over to see during lunch today because the seller said someone else was also interested. The lady was very sweet and the house was on a charming street, but when I walked in the overwhelming odor of cigarette smoke hit me. I was a bit disappointed because I bought a desk for my son's room from a smoker a few years ago and to this day, no matter how many alcohol baths I give it, or how many times I put bowls of vinegar and baking soda in the drawers, I just cannot get rid of the odor.

Still, she said the hutch was kept in the garage so I thought it could be okay. It ended up being not quite right for me once I saw it in person, although overall a very charming piece.

So, I was undecided and telling her that it was very nice but I may need something that had cabinets beneath for my large serving bowls and so she was showing me how deep the drawers were. The drawer she opened was a bit dirty and she mentioned that she must have forgotten to clean out the drawers when she cleaned the piece for showing.

Well, I opened the other drawer to see if they were dovetailed (they weren't) and the one that I opened had all sorts of twigs, branches, and debris inside - looked like a nest. Then I noticed the opossum - the dead opossum - standing upright in a corner of the drawer looking right up at me with it's glassy eyes. I must have jumped at least 3 feet in the air and backwards, screaming like a girl - oh, wait, I am a girl!

Hmmm, I tried to feign interest after that, asking for measurements and such, but I knew that even if I had absolutely loved the piece before opening the drawer, there was no point in even considering it from that point on. No matter how much I cleaned it, or painted it, I would always see that nest and dead opossum staring at me!

On top of this experience a bat got into my house the other night and was flying wildly over my bed as I was lying down (terrifying me, to say the least). Then last night, a huge rat got stuck in one of our glue traps (his tail only) and then twisted himself up in the spokes of my daughter's tricycle, shrieking madly and still attached to the trap, until my dh could dispose of it. It's been a rodent filled week around here and I am one squeamish woman!

So, maybe no more CL shopping for me for awhile!

Comments (39)