SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drmeow3

Possibly OT - Floor safe

drmeow3
18 years ago

Hi all,

Not sure where to post this - if there's a better forum, please direct me.

I have a Gary brand floor safe (model 50C) in my house that was installed when the house was built in 1960. It is one of these cylinder style ones - the walls are 1" thick and the top/door is 1.5" thick. Cylinder is not embedded in the floor but is in a built in bench-like structure inside the house (I guess sort of like a window seat but it doesn't jut out of the house, it is inside along one exterior wall). Safe is installed in approximately a 20" x 20" x 20" block of concrete (safe is probably about 8" in diameter, maybe 18" deep, maybe less). The 20 x 20 x 20 block of concrete is surrounded by the following materials: cinder block; sand or dirt (anywhere from 6" to 4'); 3" bricks; interior wall (presumably drywall and studs); concrete slab floor (I assume - no crawl space or basement); and wooden bench. House is block construction. The small amount of documentation I have (what appears to be a id/"how to care for" tag that was attached to the safe) does not indicate that this is a fireproof safe but I'm wondering if it would provide any fire protection at all?

Thanks,

meo

Comments (9)