SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
victoriajane_gw

jute rug - two questions/concerns

victoriajane
12 years ago

I just purchased an 8 ft round braided jute rug in ivory for my family room and I love it. I was replacing a faux oriental rug that always looked grimy and showed every cat and dog hair. Plus the oriental pattern was a more formal look than I wanted for the room. The fibrous jute rug gives just the right amount of warmth without becoming country. So, I couldn't be more pleased. Meanwhile, I need an area rug for the three other rooms that together with the family room form a square on the main level of the house (not including the kitchen which is in the back and competely separate.) The four main rooms share the same wall color (ivory), floor color (walnut) and trim. So I got to thinking, since I love the rug so much, maybe I should get the same one for each of the rooms. Does anyone have identical area rugs throughout their house? I'm thinking it could either look cohesive and harmonious, or completely unimaginative and ridiculous. Also, two of the rooms where the rug would be - the sitting room and the dining room - have dupioni silk curtains - they are a bit more formal than the family room. I'm trying to imagine having silk curtains and a jute rug - again I'm thinking it might look ridiculous but on the other hand I've always liked rooms that mixed styles in an unexpected way; like a rustic farm table along with a crystal chandelier, for example. But maybe there is some "rule" about not mixing styles when dealing with fabric/fibrous materials. Anyway, I'd appreciate any opinions regarding duplicate rugs throughout a main floor, and mixing informal rugs with more formal fabric drapes. Thanks!

Comments (5)