SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
salem1772

Need advice on sisal/ jute-type rugs

salem1772
11 years ago

First time post on this forum. Got tremendous help from Bathroom forum and am counting on y'all to continue that great Garden Web tradition!

I have always admired neutral sisal-type rugs, but have never owned one. Anyone having experience with these, please chime in! I need a new den rug and wonder if I'd be happy with this style.

Here's what goes on in this house: 2 cats with claws, 2 small dogs (one sheds a lot), 1 DD, 1 DH. Never spilled red wine on the current rug, but that possibility always exists. We do sometimes eat in this room. Other rugs around the house are oriental, but I don't think one would work in this room because of bold upholstery and orange-ish knotty pine wood paneling (1950's house).

My worry is getting something that attracts cat claws. I can't figure out what trips them off ---- they never scratch their scratch post or the hand-knotted
oriental rugs; just certain pieces of furniture (to be reupholstered soon) and
the machine-made oriental runner going up the stairs they pick to death. Simple solution is getting rid of the cats, but that's not an option. Neither is declawing them.

This room gets a LOT of traffic, as well.

So ---- I need something cat-proof, easy to clean, holds up well to people and pet traffic. And we live in the South, so bare feet in summer is happening too. So, something on the softer side, maybe.

What should I get? I don't know the pros and cons of these types rugs. Thanks for your help.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County