SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vavavoom_gw

Bedding for Dark Blue Walls?

vavavoom
14 years ago

I'm getting down to the wire with my paint selections. I have really wanted to do Van Deusen Blue in the MBR. my inspiration pic is linked below.

I had planned on white bedding until i got real. I have 2 dogs who seem to dirty everything though they aren't allowed into the bed.

Without the white bedding i think it may be a mistake to do the dark blue. I'm wondering about other bedding options colorwise that would work to brighten up this dramatic look.

at this point, i'm thinking about going with silver fox instead, but my heart is really with the VD Blue! thoughts??

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: bedroom

Comments (25)

• debb
    14 years ago

Can you picture your inspirtion pic with dark bedding on the lower portion of the bed, and the rest as is at the top portion? Along with fresh white mattes in your wall pictures, nice chunky white lamps, I think you will still get the great contrast you are looking for. You just NEED that white I thnk to help make that blue be dramatic. I really like the look - very cozy but classy! Also for the top portion just pick very washable items that are easy to care for. Good luck - would love to see pics when you are finished.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Here ya go:

Nice color BTW.

A rule of thumb is to choose your major furnishings and long term investment pieces first then choose paint color. Since you know you like blue I would choose a bedspread/duvet that you like and then decide if the dream paint color is going to work or you absolutely must change it.

• Related Discussions

Would a dark blue work with Basket Beige?

Q

Comments (2)
    I don't necessarily want to bring out the green. When the room was painted (2 years ago), my son was very into camoflauge, so the paint was coordinated with the tan in the camo bedding. Does anyone else feel that Basket Beige has green undertones? I held a navy striped shirt up to the wall today and I think it may work, but I am hesitant to go in search of bedding, fall in love with it, and then get it home to discover that it doesn't work at all! Thanks!
    ...See More

Ice Blue Bedding

Q

Comments (14)
    I just caught an episode of Divine Design (Episode #HDIVD-1009 "Traditional Master Bedroom"), designer Candice Olson really outdid herself!! She created an awesome, luxurious master bedroom retreat. She gave it a very modern twist, almost neutral. Ice blue was paired with soothing tans and ivory, for a subtle, sophisticated feel. It was a beautiful room. Here is a link that might be useful: Divine Design:Traditional Master Bedroom
    ...See More

dkny bedding red - what color walls??pics of awesome bedding

Q

Comments (3)
    Wow, that is gorgeous bedding. The red pattern is very intense and busy, and when paired with the black furniture the intensity will be magnified. I would go with an Ivory for the walls. You don't want anything to compete and overwhelm. What are your plans for the flooring for the room? Window treatments?
    ...See More

Matching curtains with blue and cream white damask bedding

Q

Comments (3)
    Since you likely won't be able to match the material in the duvet, I'd select a blue and white patterned drapery panel that is taller than what you currently have. Place at least two panels on each side (more if you plan to close the drapery at night) I moved over the chest of drawers to center it on the space between the wall and the panels. The ceiling fan light is terrible so I changed that to just a plain fan and added a sunburst mirror over the headboard for a bit of sparkle.
    ...See More
  • threedgrad
    14 years ago

Yes, with the dark walls, whatever shade, blue, red, green, you will want to keep bedding light. Otherwise room gets too dark. So find the bedding first and then pick a paint to go with that as suggested above.

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

I don't see a problem with the white bedding and your dogs, so long as the bedding is very washable - like a duvet cover (or two) that you can throw in the wash weekly. You could even keep the dust ruffle dark - like the same color as the walls, since it would be harder to launder the dust ruffle regularly.

• equest17
    14 years ago

I agree with terriks. Many people with pets/children actually choose all white bedding and slipcovers because it can be washed or bleached with no problem. Maybe a couple of pure white duvets would work, so you can change them out frequently.

• funkyart
    14 years ago

The blue is gorgeous! I am with terriks-- if the inspiration room INSPIRES you, then stick with it. You said yuor dogs arent allowed on the bed so it shouldnt be a problem to go with white. I would either skip a dust ruffle (my preference with the bed pictured) or do a stripe, check or pattern.

I think you could do a light gold, silver or flax -- but what really makes the inspiration room is the clean contrast of the blue and the white. I don't know that I would deviate from that.

One last thought-- IMO there are SO many options for affordable, luxury linens (Tuesday Morning, TJ Maxx, Macy's sales), I would paint the room the color you want and stock up on great, washable, white sets. A duvet at $120 bucks is cheaper and less hassle than painting.

Good luck-- it is a gorgeous room.

• User
    14 years ago

Ditto Terriks.

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

I really love the dramatic look of the white bedding against the dark blue walls!

• caminnc
    14 years ago

Vavavoom, I love your inspiration picture. I think you should consider using Ralph Lauren's Palm Harbor collection for your bedding. I would use a navy blanket when you want to share the bed with your dogs. You could use a white foot warmer at the end of the bed to bring in more white.

• bronwynsmom
    14 years ago

Yes, do what you want to do....don't give up that gorgeous blue!
    The blue and white bedding would be lovely, and you can mix all those sheets in with plain white ones in virtually any combination.
    If the dog dirt is a worry, a matelasse coverlet in camel or a warm medium gray folded at the foot would work with the scheme as well. You might consider one of those colors for your rug as well, since that's the place you'll worry about the pups, yes? Wool sisal looks great with blue and white, and is surprisingly easy to keep clean.

• bungalow_house
    14 years ago

What color is your woodwork? I had a small dark blue room (Behr Chesapeake, now retired I think) several years ago with a lot of white woodwork. The woodwork and white window shades provided a great deal of relief from the darkness. Ultimately I settled on a quilt with mostly reds, whites, and blues, but I don't have a picture of it. Not that I'm holding this up as an example of great design or anything, but here's a pic to give you an idea of what the white woodwork can contribute, since there is none showing in your inspiration pic.

• bluekitobsessed
    14 years ago

That's a gorgeous shade of blue. Don't give up your dream as long as your top layers of bedding can be washed (as others have pointed out).

The bed in that pic has a wood footboard. I have all-white bedding, no footboard, and a big hairy black dog who likes to come in and lie next to the bed. Over time my bedskirt ends up collecting his fur. I wash the bedskirt every so often. However, if you have a bed with a footboard that may minimize the dog fur collection issue.

I also am no decorating expert, but I like to first select my paint color, then bedding, because new bedding can be found anywhere (or, when I'm ambitious, a quilt top can be made).

Blue

• cork2win
    14 years ago

We have a dark blue MBR:

That pic was taken right after we moved in, so ignore the bedding. :)

During the winter I had gold on the bed and really liked it. For summer (no more duvet) I'd really like to have a light gray/silver color I think. I've lived in this room for a year now and I can't really think of any other colors (other than white) that would look good in it. So, if you love the blue, I think accepting that you're limiting your bedding choices will be key. I do love our blue room though and probably won't change it for a while.

• vavavoom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

wow!! you all are so incredibly helpful. Thank you so much!
    Lots of great suggestions . . .looks like i may have to go with the blue!

• claireking
    14 years ago

Yes, I would go with the blue and keep the white bedding idea. It will be beautiful. Here is another great bedroom with the same color:

Here is a link that might be useful: [Blue MRB[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/duggan-residence-craftsman-bedroom-san-francisco-phvw-vp~16331)

• patricianat
    14 years ago

Nothing shows dog hair and/or cat hair than something dark. Use the white and buy an inexpensive white cotton blanket to fold at the foot of the bed for the varmints.

• sheesh
    14 years ago

My dtr's master br is navy blue walls with white bedding, fluffy white area rugs on dark wood floors. They have touches of burgundy, pink, and green in the accessories, and their master bath is done with the most gorgeous navy blue wallpaper with big flowers in the world! The tile and fixtures are white. It's gorgeous! Northern exposure.

We have always trained all of our cats and dogs to stay out of the bedroom! They sleep at the threshold~~~Voila! Very little pet hair in the bedrooms. It's never too late to train them.

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

Just for grins, here is a DR in the same gorgeous color! WOW!
    {{!gwi}}

• elle3
    14 years ago

Your inspiration picture is gorgeous! You absolutely have to keep the white. Makes we want to repaint my bedroom :)
    I have always loved blues--your blue is refreshingly different for a bedroom. Love it!

• kpaquette
    14 years ago

Our close friends have Van Deusen blue in their master bath - and it's stunning. but what really makes it is that they have dark stained wood floors and white wainscoting and crown. The white really sets it off. White clawfoot, white console sink - then a dark wood piece of furniture for storage. (similar to the dark wood tones in your inspiration pic.)

So I definitely agree with doing white bedding - in fact you might consider RH's hotel stripe bedding - the navy might coordinate and would look really sharp.

Here is a link that might be useful: RH bedding

• bodiCA
    14 years ago

If you like the dark blue and white, that's good to do. If you really like dark blue, you can also do monocromatic by mixing textures and focal points. My bedroom is Midnight Blue, almost black, and my focal points are my seascape and surf paintings. The walls and ceiling are flat paint Midnight with crystal lighting. My bedding is also Midnight, but silk satin to contrast from the flat walls. My art and crystal are the focal points rather than the bed. Just another way to look at decor, not for everyone, but a different style. When you go outside on a dark night the sky is infinate, same in my dark room, the walls and ceiling vanish making the room feel infinate and the art and crystal are truely showcased. It's your room to love and have fun doing anything you want and change with your moods.

• cmzimme
    14 years ago

LOVE the room! Post photos when you complete it!

• segbrown
    14 years ago

I actually have white bedding right now (but no photos), though a quilt is always possible to change things up. I love my blue bedroom. Cool and calming!

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

What a beautiful bedroom!!

I hope your doggies don't sway you from the white bedding!! I have gone to a white matelasse b/c of my dogs - it will pop into the washer/dryer & I can use bleach on it. I was using an expensive Eastern Accents duvet that I had to have dry cleaned every time it got dirty.

Also, the room above doesn't show a bed skirt - which is what got dirty for me when I had one before. My big old lab like to go under the bed when I had a bed skirt. I saw how dirty it got & took that thing OFF!!

Now, I would have a hard time keeping that cream carpet clean, thou!! But to me, the carpet could easily be darker & still work - like a darker taupe (or a color that blends with your dogs hair color :) )

I also really like the printed sheets that Caminnc posted above.

Smiles:)

• goldgirl
    14 years ago

vavavoom - we've had that exact color scheme in our BR - same wall color, mahogany furniture and taupe carpet - for almost four years and love it. I can't have white bedding because of four Goldens, but if I didn't have big, hairy dogs, I'd do it in a minute because I love the contrast.