SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tigger

Cleanup during and after construction - what is reasonable?

tigger
15 years ago

Just wondering from those of you who are both in the process of remodeling as well as those who have finished (boy I envy you!!) - what is reasonable to expect from contractors as far as cleaning up? For example, how clean do your contractors leave the job site on a daily basis, and did they clear everything out (not necessarily clean, but not leave things in shambles) to your satisfaction once everything was finished? Our house is a complete WRECK and I've basically been the only one (aside from a few times) to sweep, vacuum or remove debris and I'm getting very tired of it after 7-8 months! And I hate to even look at the outside of the house - due to being an addition, there's still tons of stuff associated with the initial construction everywhere - such as old bricks, new bricks, tools, you name it.

Is it too much to ask that after this long, things begin to be cleared out so as not to continue damaging the landscaping even more?? We are still having a deck built out back where most of the stuff is, but I see no reason for things other than lumber and such to be there and not a million other things - it honestly looks like a junkyard and I'm surprised neighbors haven't filed a complaint due to it's sheer ugliness! Anyway, what do you expect from your contractors and do you have to constantly "remind" them to do it??

Comments (21)