SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Before and after - backyard clean-up this afternoon

woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

The leaves are down off the ash tree now so we did the clean-up in the backyard this afternoon. The ash tree definitely had fewer leaves this year as it only took us an hour or so to rake everything into the beds. The only thing we cut back in the backyard was the Persicaria polymorphas - they can uproot themselves when the stems fall over, so we cut them down. Everything else will 'compost in place' over the winter.

South side of backyard before clean-up (I need to clean my camera lens!):

North side before clean-up:

South side after clean up:

North side after clean-up:

Interestingly, the two native dogwood trees have nice color now - but the C. kousa (against the fence, behind and to the right of the ash tree trunk...) is still green:

One of my favorite late season bloomers is this bugbane ('White Pearl') which is always freshly blooming when we're raking leaves! There are several clumps of them scattered around the garden.

Yesterday we spent 2 hours cutting down hardy hibiscuses, peonies phlox, and P. polymorpha in the front garden. DH is currently out putting the driveway pots into the garage. That's it - fall clean-up is done! Oops I forgot - DH will be scaring the heck out of me soon by going up on a ladder to brush leaves off the screens on the eavestroughs.....

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert