SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen_zab

New to Forum - Interested in your opinions

karen_zab
16 years ago

We bought a new home recently, very excited, to be built starting in Feb with an anticipated closing next August. What I can't figure out is how to handle the sale of our current home and interested in your opinions.

I hate the idea of moving twice, and it would be very hard for our pets and kids, so optimally I'd love to put our home on the market pretty close to when we know we will close on our new home so we can move directly from one to the other.

But...should we instead put it on the market beginning in February at our top asking price to give it the most time and opportunity to sell at the price we'd like to get out of it and then as our new home closing gets close drop the price as necessary?

I know, sounds like a no brainer, right? But with pets and small child it isn't. Our local RE market seems to be holding so far and our current home is in a good location. We're in Austin, Texas. We wouldn't overprice the home but with 6 months we could be more picky about how accepting lower than asking price offers, right? Is there any negative impact from having a home on the market for a longer period of time? Will we miss a lot of buyers with families who want to be in a home before school starts if we don't want to move out until end of August?

Definitely I need to ask all these questions to my REA, just not there yet - after the new year. Just curious.

K

Comments (20)