SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patty_cakes_gw

SHOCKER!!! Buyer backs out.....

patty_cakes
16 years ago

Closing was supposed to be last Friday, but buyer bought condo insurance not knowing my 'condo' was a PUD. She was given the CC&R's two weeks beforehand, and if she *would* have read them, would have realized the unit was in fact a PUD. Her agent should also have known this and informed her, but I was told when she(agent) looked at the tax documents, it also stated, condo. I don't know who I should blame for the SNAFU! Buyer and agent came thru again on Tue. evening, at which time I made the comment that the movers would be coming on Wednesday~everything seemed fine with the woman. Movers came as scheduled, and my furniture went into storage as planeed. I cleaned the place spotlessly, and final readings for utilities were completed and electricity shut off on Friday. Her agent called me before the electricity was shut off, and wanted to know if carpet cleaners could come in on Sat., and I gave the go ahead, knowing it wasn't a done deal. I asked if the new buyer had called to have the utilities re-instated, and got a negative, so told her she would need to cancel the carpet cleaners if that hadn't been done. Agent and I found out buyer had not taken care of this yet, which I thought was a little strange.

Thinking insurance would be taken care of on Monday and everything would be a go, I was shocked when I got a call from my agent Monday morning, telling me the buyer had 'changed her mind, and was sorry'. SORRY???? How can you be SORRY when the owner has moved out, stored furniture, and has all ready signed papers to start building another home? I know the woman had recently relocated to S. CA to be near her kids, and had gone thru a divorce after 30 years of marriage to a man who was supposedly very controlling. Apparently she had 'broken down' a few times with her agent, as she still couldn't believe she was on her own, and making such a huge decision. Fear and emotions became her worst enemies. So here I am, in total shock, with a call already put in to a realestate attorney, wondering what *my* rights were, if any. I found out her agent asked her if there was a problem with closing costs, or any thing else, and the woman said, no, that she had just changed her mind. On Tuesday she called her agent, who informed her that I would be consulting with an attorney, and she replied she had a call into an attorney also. I don't know what happened, but on Wednesday she called her agent, and said she wanted to go thru with the closing, and was terribly sorry about what she had put the buyer thru. She also said she had gone thru her figures, and and needed help with the closing costs in the amount of $4600. Why she didn't state this upfornt, no one can understand, and why she waited so long is even a bigger mystery. Both agents decided to kick in $500, and I would pay the rest. As pi**ed off as I was, I didn't see an alternative. Apparently insurance was taken care of yesterday, and closing completed last night.

To say i'm still angry about this whole ordeal is an understatement! At this point, is there any legal recourse for the hell she put me thru, even though she did end up buying? What recourse *would* I have had if the deal would have fallen thru?

My holidays will now be 'merry'!

Comments (30)