SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rc808

Buying a duplex condo (AKA a condex)?

rc808
14 years ago

So, I'm looking to buy a new house soon. I have a limit to what I can afford. I've been looking at several areas. I live and work in CT. However, there aren't a TON of jobs for my industry in CT. They're here, and it's better than most areas of the country, but there are TONS of those jobs in NYC.

I have a stable job. I do plan on staying there for at least 3 more years.

My commute right now is fine. 24 miles each way. All backroads with no traffic.

I've been looking at homes around this area, which isn't cheap, but a lot cheaper than down on the coast. I've found some nice places. Beautiful new townhomes, new single family homes, an almost-new home with lake views. Good stuff.

But I would keep this longer commute, and if I HAD to get a job in NYC, I'd be looking at a minimum 90 minute commute. Yikes.

At that point, I could do one of three things: deal with the commute (not something I want to do), sell the place, or keep the place and get a studio apartment in NYC for most weekdays. My income would likely increase moving to a job down there, so it might offset the rent.

Towns down on the coast are commutable to NYC. I looked at one town that's about a 50 minute train ride. Very doable. It's also 6 miles from my current work. House prices are very high in this town, and it's the least expensive in the area. Decent single family homes are well over 500k, and I can only spend about 400. I looked at some condos, and they're either too small or have units above them which I don't like. I saw some new construction townhouses but the construction was cheap.

I found a builder that has done many condex developments in town. They've been around a long time and do very nice work. The condex in question would be built in a great, quiet area and would abut woods, which I like. It's priced right for my budget and has everything I'm looking for. Some rooms are maybe be a bit smaller than what I like, but it's no worse than my current condo.

The only part that has me hesitating is that it is a condex. It's a 2-unit complex. You and your neighbor are the HOA. They set up an account for you to pay your dues every month and you have the same state by-laws and regulations that any condo would have. You have legal recourse if your neighbor doesn't pay. My fear is what happens if you disagree with your neighbor or get a complete jerk? He says his clients are happy and can provide testimonials, but I don't know. He's done a lot of these developments. In the same area he built a 8-unit complex that has been self-governed since the mid 80's with no problems.

This is the kind of setup I'd never be able to afford in this town as a single family and the other condos available are just not desirable. The nice thing about this town is the proximity to work, NYC and it's an easy area to rent something out because it's such a desirable area. You get more for your money up where I am now, and I could probably get a decent single family house or townhouse, but again, location, location, location.

So, I'm looking for advice, either from those who have owned in a similar situation with a 2-unit or similarly small "complex" or know something about it.

Advice is much appreciated!

Comments (8)