SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lyfia

Just a vent! Give up on House hunt.

17 years ago

We've been looking in an area trying to get DH and I to share the commute distance so we both have an equal drive ~90 miles for the last 6 months. We finally gave up this weekend. The houses are overpriced for what they are and we keep comparing to our current house which I would consider an average house that still needs some updating (we've done a lot, but still have harvest gold and avocado green baths) and nothing fancy on 2 acres and it is looking better and better even though there are some things that that we find quirky about this one too.

I know the trend in the last few years is towards people being their own builders and I'm sure there are plenty that are good, just they are not the ones trying to sell their houses that we've seen. We've seen about 5 of these and they all have some really weird things done in the layout and also just bad work. How can you when you build be ok with a foundation that has a 1/4" slope per ft, or choose to enlarge the shower so you have only 2 feet of space to put the toilet between the shower and the wall in a guest bath - no code worries there), or the nice wooden lined shower that to me seems like a maintenance nightmare, or the countertop that slopes 1/2" per ft over the dishwasher toward the sink (I guess it is good for run-off), or the one that says they have over insulated their 2x4 exterior walls by cramming insulation made for 2x6 construction in there, or ..... the list is long.

I mean we didn't have huge expectations, but we did want something move in ready ie not have to fix a bunch of things due to the long commute. Paint and strip some wallpaper, but not major construction. Also these were priced in line with other houses on the sq ft side, just different acerage.

There isn't much for sale in the area and only one house out of the ones we've looked at was promising, but after thinking that one through besides loving what was done and being offered for them to build a garage (one down side with the property) we had to pass due to the layout of the house not fitting our needs.

We're going to look for land in the area only now with intention to build, but being that there aren't many choices and we'll be a lot pickier (since we can take our time) we need to look at other alternatives. We can still rent a place in the town DH works and keep our current house and add a shop at our location and be at the same point financially, however we still won't be living together except on the weekend.

Not sure if there is a point with this at all or a question. Just venting I guess. I'm glad we didn't put our house on the market though as we considered this summer. Not saying it would have sold, but it is likely it would have. We're still in a sellers market.

Comments (6)