SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judy333_gw

Flower Block Swap Updated Details & Sign-Ups

judy333
16 years ago

After some great discussion and input, the following are the instructions for the Flower Block Swap:

1. Make twelve 12 1/2 inch (unfinished size) flower blocks.

2. Background color: white on white (NOT sky/blue as originally suggested)

3. Flower color(s) and design: your choice...think spring/summer (example: no poinsettias - much too Christmassy)

1. Keep one block and mail the remaining eleven blocks to me (If you want to pin a small piece of paper with your name on each block you send, that's great...many quilters like to know who made which block.) Email me so that I can give you my address...I'm judika3 at yahoo dot com.

5. Along with the eleven blocks, make sure you include with them a large self-addressed, stamped return envelope so that I can mail you your blocks!

6. Swap postmark due date: on or before April 1, 2008

It is my hope that this swap will remind you of the beauty of spring and summer during those long, cold, icy, snowy, dark months of winter (especially for us northerners!)

NOTE: The group size will be limited to 12; a second group will be formed if there is enough interest.

Comments (68)

• judy333
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Suellen, you're in!!!

Quilters Signed Up for Flower Block Swap Thus Far:
    1. judy333
    2. irishdancersgram
    3. caroline1947
    4. vicky4x4
    5. katy122
    6. busdrivermary
    7, juttz
    8. redpenny
    9. nanciii

1. ddavisgray
    2. amcfeely
    3. suellen_delawares

Okay, quilters, Group 1 of the Flower Block Swap is complete!

If others are interested, let me know. We'll see if there is enough interest to get a full second group.

• gininmn
    16 years ago

Judy,
    I sent you an email expressing my desire to join the second group if there are enough.
    Ginny

• Related Discussions

April-May Paper Pieced Block Lotto Sign-Ups

Q

Comments (29)
    Petalpatsy - 1 (Received) Magothyrivergirl - Calliope - 2 (Received) Woodenzoo - 1 Lafonda_ranch - Tuppermom - Kay_in_pa - 1 Last weekend was a bear! I'll get started on it today while it's too hot and sunny for me to work out in the yard. It really doesn't look that time consuming and I think I'll be able to get it done quickly. How is everyone else coming along with this one? Cathy
    ...See More

Received Flower Block Swap Blocks

Q

Comments (36)
    Judy, You've been wonderful hosting this swap. With all the problems we've had, thank you to the many who have stepped in to help out, and Judy,you've been such a trooper. Hopefully the last package will get there in the next 2 days. Thank you for your dedication to this swap. I'm so excited to see these. I just know they will be perfect. I hope it hasn't been too much trouble for you and you will continue to come up with such great ideas for swaps. Thank you for your patence with all of us. I just know the reward of the flower blocks will be so worth it. Thanks so much, doris
    ...See More

New: Time to Sign Up for the 2011 Birthday Block Exchange

Q

Comments (107)
    The 3rd group is now complete with the inclusion of Nancy (stitches). This group is to be called "Ribbons and Bows". I have written out all the details for each person in the group and am now just waiting on Nancy (stitches) to send me her information. As soon as I have that, I will email the completed group information to you all. We now have 3 people on our emergency list, willing to fill in if someone has to withdraw. If anyone else would like to be on this list, then let me know. From emails I've received, we have some very keen quilters indeed. Some people have completed half or more of next year's blocks already! This will save a lot of time next year and ensure they send their blocks out early for each person's birthday. Well done! Kristene
    ...See More

2009 Birthday Block sign-ups

Q

Comments (49)
    Jen, Last years sign up said this: You may pick what ever you want for your block. My only requests is that you do not make your block request to hard. This swap is open to all levels of quilters and we do not want to discourage new quilters from joining. My sign-up says this: You may pick what ever you want for your block. The blocks would be "beginner friendly",,,no appliqué, unless a person asks for a Quilters choice of block and the maker wants to do appliqué... This swap is open to all levels of quilters and we do not want to discourage new quilters from joining. So I guess the rules changed; but very little. I know that some of the beginner quilters (we are getting some signing up) Could not make this block. On quilter cache the three red pins stand for the hardest block on the sight: Several types of assembly, or many little pieces, set-in seams, etc. = Three Pins! RED pins mean all or some appliqué! I hope you still join the swap. Vicky
    ...See More
  • judy333
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Group 1 is full for this swap. Let's see if we have enough interest for a second group. (I'm tempted to be in both groups! First, I need to get through the holidays!)

Beginning Group 2:

1. gininmn

• redpenny
    16 years ago

Judy I sent you email.
    Red

• gininmn
    16 years ago

I'm pleased to say that Judy asked me to join this swap to fill in for someone who had to drop out (sorry about that, though). This should be such fun! I'm going to try applique and I already have my flower pattern picked out. Fabric shopping I must go.

Ginny

• judy333
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Updated Flower Block Swap Group:

1. judy333
    2. irishdancersgram
    3. caroline1947
    4. vicky4x4
    5. katy122
    6. busdrivermary
    7, juttz
    8. nanciii
    9. ddavisgray

1. amcfeely
    2. suellen_delawares
    3. gininmn

That fills the first group for this swap. If there is enough interest after the holidays, we may be able to get enough for a second group. (Yikes, I still have Christmas-project block making to do right now!!!)

After the first of the year, I'll get started making my flower blocks. I'm at the FUN stage right now looking at patterns. The problem is that I have so many great flower patterns that it is going to be difficult to choose just one!

• vicky4x4
    16 years ago

Has anyone started their flower blocks?
    I think I changed my mind on the block I'm making :-)

Vicky

• caroline1947
    16 years ago

I have my pattern picked out but havent started it yet...

• judy333
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lol...I thought I figured out exactly which flower block I'd make for this swap...but I keep finding more and more interesting patterns! I ordered some fabric that I'm waiting for. As soon as it arrives, I'm going to make a final decision. I'm leaning towards applique at the moment.

• busdrivermary
    16 years ago

Haven't started my blocks yet but I have what I'm going to do. Got the background already now to start my flowers.
    Mary

• gininmn
    16 years ago

got my pattern resized yesterday, but need to make a template of pieces, have fabric for flower but need to see if I have enough WOW. hand appliquing because we'll be on the road quite a bit this month or next.
    ~Ginny

• caroline1947
    16 years ago

Is everyone doing applique???

• gininmn
    16 years ago

I recall that it's swapper's choice on block technique (pieced or applique).

• suellen_delawares
    16 years ago

I have my pattern narrowed down to 1002 LOL Now seriously I have it narrowed down to 3. I will probably ask my husband to deside since I like all 3. I love hand quilting but when it comes to hand applique I have to really work at it. I'm going to either piece or PP.
    Suellen

• meima
    16 years ago

Please add me if you have a spot. Thank you.

• amcfeely
    16 years ago

judy, you can give my spot to meima if you would like. I would really like to be in the swap, I just have alot going on right now and I don't want to come down to the wire and not be able to finish. I managed to get myself on the PTA board at the boys school, and me being the only stay at home mom, gets to do most of the stuff that happens during school hours. So I spend alot of my days at the school now planning a sping carnival and student teacher basketball game. Plus setting up field trips for all the grades.

Just let me know. I would rather somebody who has more time have my spot than get in a crunch and not be able to finish.

Amy

• lockeb
    16 years ago

Good Morning,
    I believe tha the swap is full but if there's another - of if there is another space, I'd love to join...
    Have a great day everyone..
    Bill

• alabamajanet
    16 years ago

I'd like to do this swap too. If you start another group I'm in. Thanks.

Janet

• brenda_41940
    16 years ago

I would like to join if you get enough people for another group. Mainly a lurker.

Thanks, Brenda

• meima
    16 years ago

Thank you for thinking about me Amy! It sounds like your life is busy, but fulfilling! I'm an elementary principal now, and I love my PTO moms.

• judy333
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, all!

Sorry for not posting and updating lists earlier...a major life event happened to me two days ago: I got engaged! Here I am, 50 years old and getting married for the FIRST time!

Anyway, my mind has been on nothing else since Christmas when we started looking at rings. I'll post the most updated group lists later tonight. One person dropped out of Group 1 over Christmas vacation...which makes room for meima. Amcfeely, do you still want a break from this swap? Let me know, and I'll post the Group 2 startup list. Thanks! Here's Group 1:

1. judy333
      2. meima (Welcome to the swap!)
      3. caroline1947
      4. vicky4x4
      5. katy122
      6. busdrivermary
      7, juttz
      8. nanciii
      9. ddavisgray
    2. amcfeely
    3. suellen_delawares
    4. gininmn
  • amcfeely
    16 years ago

Judy I will stay. I really want to do this swap, and will just have to make some quilting time for myself.

Thanks bunches.

Amy

• vicky4x4
    16 years ago

Judy........we want a picture of "The rings!" And maybe one of you and your intended.

Vicky

• meima
    16 years ago

Oh Judy,
    I am so excited for you. What a wonderful way to begin a new year! And.....we get to share part of it! I am excited to be a part of this new quilting adventure, too. Thank you,
    Meima

• judy333
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Is there anyone else interested in this flower block swap? Group 1 is full. Let's see if there's enough interest for a second group! Here we go...

Group 2

1. lockeb
    2. alabamajanet
    3. brenda 41940

Let's see if by the end of January we can get this group filled up! Come join the fun!!! There are LOTS of flower patterns out there!

• lockeb
    16 years ago

HI....
    I'd love to join the second group....if you're up to a Canadian joining the swap....
    Thanks,
    Bill

• lockeb
    16 years ago

Sorry, I now see I'm already on the list..I think I need another coffee....

• vicky4x4
    16 years ago

What was ever decided on sending 11 or 12 of these blocks? It does seem easier for the coordinator to send all 12.

Vicky

• judy333
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Send me either 11 or 12 blocks. I have a large livingroom and am very organized with piles (I'm a teacher!). I'm also going to take photos of each person's block so that I am very clear as to who sent what. The only reason I thought 11 blocks would work is that it will be slightly cheaper for you when you have to weigh your self-addressed stamped envelope for the return trip back to you.

Again, send 11 or 12. If you send 11, you won't get one of your blocks back because your 12th block is waiting for you at home. If you send 12 blocks, you will indeed receive one of your blocks back. Again, the choice is up to you. I'm happy either way!

• suellen_delawares
    16 years ago

Where are you in the flower block making process?
    I have the fabric and I am still trying to decide which flower to make.

SUELLEN

• vicky4x4
    16 years ago

They're in my brain! :-)
    I'm making prairie points for my daughters quilt and yesterday I got all of 16 cut out before I was interrupted and today I think about 10! My son needed me for math and I never got back at it.

I'm hoping I can actually pull off the flower blocks!

Vicky

• busdrivermary
    16 years ago

Judy,
    Things are not going very good around here. My daughter is going to have a operation the 6th and is going to needs someone to help her. We're not sure what is going to happen in the future might be a long haul. Shes going to have another operation when she recops from this one so things are uncertain. So I thought Bill could take my place,seeings hes the first on the list on Group 2. I haven't got to sew for a couple weeks now and it doesn't look good for the future. If Bill would like to or one of the others i would be so grateful. Mary

• caroline1947
    16 years ago

My blocks are all done,,been intending to mail them..

• lockeb
    16 years ago

Hi Mary,
    Hope that all works out for you and your daughter...thanks for the suggestion - I've contacted Judy with a private email advising here that I'd be happy to be a replacement for the swap..
    Have a great day!
    Bill

• katy122
    16 years ago

Suellen... It is so nice to know someone else is having a hard time trying to come up with some ideas for our flower blocks, I feel like a real dunce, I have been trying applique but not happy with my results as I'm a beginner, if I pull this off it will be a miracle, I'm getting a little scared but I'm going to persevere.

• busdrivermary
    16 years ago

thanks Bill. things are just piling up and i wanted to make sure the swap wasn't affected. Time will tell about my daughter, shes a fighter so thats good. Thanks again.
    Mary

• suellen_delawares
    16 years ago

katy122 You'll be a pro by the 12th block. The blocks I'm choosing from are all pieced. I did consider
    making appliqued flowersbecause they look so beautiful but I don't think I am up to making 12!
    This is what I would look like after the 12th appliqued block:

Suellen

• lockeb
    16 years ago

Just wanting to confirm if I have acquired a spot in the swap so that I can get my blocks done.....
    Cheers,
    Bill

• katy122
    16 years ago

suellen...thanks for the encouraging words, I'm really beginning to feel stupid, I dont think anyone will be much excited when they recieve mine, I'm glad we dont have to put our names on them...thanks again.

• judy333
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry for not being online lately. I've had a horrid cold and have been dragging myself off to work each day and then collapsing into bed when I get home. Mary, I totally understand how you need to have time to be with your family. Bill, you are now in!!! I'll email you after I post this to confirm.

Vicky, don't worry! I'm sure your blocks will be lovely. One of the beautiful things about these swaps is that you will grow as a quilter. lol...I loved what Suellen said about how you'll be a pro by the 12th block! That is so true!

Here's the updated group 1 list:

1. judy333
    2. meima
    3. caroline1947
    4. vicky4x4
    5. katy122
    6. lockeb (Welcome to the group!)
    7, juttz
    8. nanciii
    9. ddavisgray

1. amcfeely
    2. suellen_delawares
    3. gininmn
  • busdrivermary
    16 years ago

Thanks so much. I hope that cold goes away fast, gets in the way of every thing.
    Mary

• gininmn
    16 years ago

I wanted to BUMP this post to the top because after I saw Caroline's other post, I needed to refresh my memory about the due date. Glad to see that the mail-out date is April 1. After starting my blocks and realizing I'd bitten off more than I could do, I decided I needed to switch to another block pattern, which meant buying more fabric, cutting pieces. Thus, I'm in the same place as Vicky -- one block done, eleven to go.

Ginny

• judy333
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ginny -

I'm happy to hear you switched block patterns to something you feel will be more manageable. The great thing about flower blocks is that even simple blocks can be quite beautiful! We will receive quite a variety, I'm sure! A friend of mine has a flower quilt that has pieced flowers as well as every way of applique known to man. It really is quite stunning. As for me, I've settled on a buttonhole-stitch applique pattern.

Swap members, please enjoy the process! If you don't have my mailing address yet, please email me at judika3 at yahoo dot com. Again, these blocks need to be mailed to me by April 1.

Judy

• lockeb
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone,,
    I sat down to work on my blocks last night - hoping to get a great start on all 12 blocks...I had found the pattern I was going to do - cut all of my pieces for all 12 blocks....that's a lot of pieces...only to find out that once I had pieced the first block, there seems to be a problem in the pattern because the pieces don't line up.....so it's back to square one - I think I've found another - pattern....but not sure that I can recut any of the pieces that I've already cut...we'll see..but this time, I'll cut one and put it together to make sure that it looks right first....Guess we learn by trial and error....
    Have a great weekend everyone...
    Bill

• vicky4x4
    16 years ago

Bill,
    So sorry you cut before you make a sample block. Sometimes (more times than we like) the Pattern has a mistake in it. I hope your next one works for you.

Vicky

• caroline1947
    16 years ago

Anyone have Judys address...evidently she isnt getting my e mails. I have my blocks ready to mail. Thanks....

• amcfeely
    16 years ago

Caroline, I do. Actually I have almost everyone on the forums address. That is if they have signed up for the birthday swap over the last 3 years.

Anyway just send me an email and I will reply to it. I have two emails for you and not sure which is right. The last one came back to me.

Its amcfeely at austin.rr.com.

Amy

• judy333
    Original Author
    16 years ago

YAY, I'm back online after a horrible couple of weeks down with the flu. All who emailed me while I was sick, I think I've responded to everyone with my snail-mail address. If not email again at judika3 at yahoo dot com.

• judy333
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bumping this string up to the top. Twenty-one days to finish the blocks and mail!

• lockeb
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    Been working on my blocks...I hope to have them completed this weekend...
    Meanwhile, I have a questions - the block that I've chosen is a flower of course...with a white-on-white background...as the major color..but can I add an accent of light blue...or is that a no-no.....just asking because I've taken a block that I like - and I'm reworking it to give the idea of ground below, sky above...with the flower....just wanted to get confirmation before I continue......
    Thanks for giving me your advice.
    Bill