SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

New: Time to Sign Up for the 2011 Birthday Block Exchange

sandlapper_rose
13 years ago

It's now time to begin sign ups for the 2011 Birthday Block Exchange!

This will be my fourth year of participating and my second year as coordinator. I have welcomed a helper this year - Kristene (tinyteena) who will coordinate the block exchange for 2011 along with me! We will keep things moving along and provide any help that you need.

Kristene and I have been hard at work getting new rules in place and getting input from this year's members. The Birthday Block choices are limited this year so it should make it easier for the quilt block makers - however, there are still over 100 blocks on the list! Quilters can still request "Quilter's Choice" as a block or request a theme without asking for a particular block.

Remember that you are making a year long commitment if you sign up for this. Some months may be hectic for you and if you know that, please work ahead. You will have the name and block choice for everyone in your 2011 group this year so it is easy to work ahead. (However, don't mail the block months in advance, just make it and set it aside until closer to the member's birthday.)

This is not for brand new quilters or brand new members to GardenWeb. You must be able to cut fabric accurately and sew a 1/4" seam. You must have been a member of GardenWeb for at least 6 months and have participated in at least 2 swaps --- and you must be someone we can count on. (Prior GardenWeb swaps can be the quilting block lotto, a seed swap in the Gardening Forum, etc. This year's participants qualify for having completed 2 swaps -- each month when you sent a block counted as a swap completed.)

There are two steps to signing up this year:

Step #1: You will contact me or Kristene to get the list of rules and approved blocks. We will send both of those to you by e-mail. All blocks will be 12 inches finished size or smaller.

Step #2: If you agree to the rules, get back in touch with one of us for the sign up form which you must complete and e-mail back to us.

It is best if you do both of these steps by e-mail. The birthday club is lots of fun. Your group members will shower you with mail in your birthday month and you will have 12 blocks of your choice created by these new quilting friends. It makes my birthday month so special!

We already have names picked out for the groups, so now all we need is your enthusiasm and participation!

Jeanne & Kristene

Comments (107)

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A warm welcome to another quilter who has signed up - Faye (faytay) - we will love having you in our group!

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Picture birthday balloons, a beautiful birthday cake with candles lit all ready for you to make a wish, party hats, presents with ribbons and bows, etc. The Birthday Block Exchange is ready to party!!! Your piece of cake will be delivered to you soon.

Okay, all of that translates into we now have enough quilters signed up to create our first two groups for 2011. Kristene and I will wait a few days in case you want to try out your block or rethink it, change colors, or whatever --- but if so, do that soon and get right back to us. We don't want to keep you in suspense much longer!

We will pass along a secret about the group names this year - they will all relate to birthday items and activities. As you know I used quilt block names for the groups last year and the year before that the names related to sewing/quilting terms... so kicking off the year 2011 with a new theme.

Of course, we are continuing to take sign ups so if you are interested, contact us for the rules and list of blocks and we'll take it from there. 13 members are required for each group.

So, let's party!
    Jeanne

• Related Discussions

Birthday Block Exchange New Member Wanted

Q

Comments (1)
    We have filled the position, so there is no longer a vacancy. Thanks everyone for your support Kristene
    ...See More

Birthdays in March - 2011 - Birthday Block Exchange

Q

Comments (6)
    Normally I would not be reporting on the March birthdays this soon, especially with so many that fall late in March, but as you know I will be helping with the triplets soon so I decided I'd better so this now before I don't get to it. Please don't get concerned that if your block is on the way, you are late. I am not saying that. In fact, I think all that have not been received are on their way. For the birthday girls, just remember to post to your thread when all of your blocks have been received and maybe let Kristene know as well so she will be able to determine that March is complete. Piece of Cake March 24 - Marsha (magothyrivergirl) At last count, Marsha had received 9. March 29 - Jeanne (sandlapper_rose) Jeanne has received from 11 people and is still awaiting her block from Cindy. Make a Wish March 18 - Eileen (equilter) - Complete March 24 - Paula (paulah_gardener) From the postings, I believe Paula is still awaiting a block from Cathleen. Ribbons & Bows March 1 - Fay (faytay) Complete March 3 - Sally (salijo) Complete March 27 - Mary (tuppermom) From the postings, I believe Mary is still awaiting blocks from Cindy and Robbi. Thanks all for being so great in trying to keep the schedule. You have made things easy for me and Kristene. I'm sorry I won't be able to wrap up the count for the month of March, but Kristene will be here to assist you. My husband will be here at our home so no problem with any mail still headed my way. Jeanne
    ...See More

What to do about the Birthday Block Exchange for 2012 ?

Q

Comments (26)
    This was my first year participating in the birthday block exchange and really enjoyed it. I found that I was making blocks I'd not have thought of making for myself, and then learned that I like a lot of patterns that I didn't think I would. Having the list by the beginning of the year worked well because my heaviest sewing time is winter and I got all my blocks made then. Now I just get to enjoy watching the process unroll. And I got my first block gift from Kate today! I love it and many thanks, Kate!!! So... that said, I'd be happy to participate in a 2012 birthday block with any who prefer not to sit out this year. Maybe there would only be enough people for 1 group. And I'd be glad to help with coordinating it, now that Michele is handling the monthly lotto. I doubt that I'd participate in any kind of notions/birthday gift exchange, as, like magothyrivergirl, I have plenty of those, more than I can find room for! Have never done a challenge, and would have to read the guidelines before committing to participate in one. But I doubt that I would.. I have enough challenges on the shelves of my quilting room! Just another two cents worth.. and we know what two cents is worth these days!
    ...See More

2009 Birthday Block sign-ups

Q

Comments (49)
    Jen, Last years sign up said this: You may pick what ever you want for your block. My only requests is that you do not make your block request to hard. This swap is open to all levels of quilters and we do not want to discourage new quilters from joining. My sign-up says this: You may pick what ever you want for your block. The blocks would be "beginner friendly",,,no appliqué, unless a person asks for a Quilters choice of block and the maker wants to do appliqué... This swap is open to all levels of quilters and we do not want to discourage new quilters from joining. So I guess the rules changed; but very little. I know that some of the beginner quilters (we are getting some signing up) Could not make this block. On quilter cache the three red pins stand for the hardest block on the sight: Several types of assembly, or many little pieces, set-in seams, etc. = Three Pins! RED pins mean all or some appliqué! I hope you still join the swap. Vicky
    ...See More
  • teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

I'll be sending you my info to sign up again in 2011. I have received such great birthday blocks so far and I won't to participate again!
    Teresa

• Kristene Smith
    13 years ago

Teresa,

I've sent you the full list of rules and approved blocks. If you agree with these, then contact me again for the sign up form. On our way for Group 3!

Kristene (TinyTeena)

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A welcome to Teresa who has already signed up. Don't mind us --- Kristene and I are just switching who checks on the postings on the board and who responds to people for the week. New week starting up and it is now Kristene.
    We got a bit of overlap here!!! LOL
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Many of you will be receiving e-mail (or perhaps have already received it) assigning you to a Birthday Block Exchange Group for 2011. The names we have chosen so far are "Make a Wish" and "Piece of Cake." We still have some quilters awaiting a group assignment, so it is not too late to sign up. We will be welcoming quilters who meet the requirements for many more weeks.
    If you just stumbled upon us or couldn't make up your mind --- we will be happy to hear from you!
    Jeanne

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

I got my group information today...yayyyy! I've already taken a little time to look at the blocks I'll be sewing, and it's gonna be a lot of fun, and a learning experience too! You can't beat that!

• Kristene Smith
    13 years ago

I received sign up information from Robbi (Lafonda_ranch) and have sent information to Sally (Salijo). There are still places available in Group 3, so it's not too late to join up. We need 13 before a group can commence.

Jeanne will be involved in 2 Quilting Retreats the first 2 weekends in October, so we have decided that I will be the one to check the website and answer queries during this time.
    Kristene (TinyTeena)

• salijo
    13 years ago

Kristine, I emailed you this morning with my information and block choice.
    Sally

• benken
    13 years ago

Kristene, I also sent my info and block choice this morning.

Linda

• Kristene Smith
    13 years ago

Sally (Salijo) and Linda (Benken) received both your emails with your sign up information. Thank you very much.

Still need a few more members before this 3rd group can commence.

Kristene

• patti60
    13 years ago

am i on a b-day list. i was gone 2 weeks and my e-mail was on over load and sent things back. don't want to miss out.

• Kristene Smith
    13 years ago

Hi Pat (Patti60)! You are in "Piece of Cake" group . Jeanne said she had emailed your group list to you, but because you were away, your email box became full, so it was sent back. She has now resent it back to you.

Kristene

• polardream
    13 years ago

I got my list & it's a good thing - I am going to need to work ahead since DH decided we are going to be "motorhoming" from mid-December until early February ... I am looking forward to this exchange. It is always so fun to try new blocks.

Sue/polardream

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Kristene, if it'll help get the 3rd group going, you can put me in that one also. It's looking like I'll be having plenty of time indoors in the upcoming year and won't be outside gardening too much. Being in 2 birthday block groups would be a good thing for me. If it's okay with you and Jeanne, just use my info and block choice for the 3rd group too. Let me know.
    -Dan

• Kristene Smith
    13 years ago

Thanks Dan. I will put you into Group 3 as well. We haven't decided on a name for this group yet - waiting until we have the full 13 members before we give the group a name. It's a good idea having the same block fr both groups. This way you have twice as many people helping you make your quilt. Good thinking!

We try to space the birthdays apart as much as possible, just depends on who signs up. We have spaces in this third group for birthdays in Feb, May, June, July, Aug, Oct, Dec. So if any other quilters with birthdays in the mentioned months would like to join the 3rd group and receive a total of 24 blocks from both groups for their own quilt, then let me know. Remember, you have to make 24 blocks for other quilters as well, but it's a lot of fun making just 1 block and finding new patterns that you enjoy.

Kristene

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Kristene, that's great! You're right about having 24 blocks arriving in the mail, that's just going to make my next birthday even better! And, even though I picked the pattern and colors, it'll be a lot of fun to see what fabrics everyone chooses to use, and how they use them! And, I'm really getting into trying out the new blocks to send to everyone else. There are some patterns involved that I probably wouldn't ever try to make otherwise, but now I'm making two of every pattern, one to send out, and one for myself. I'm going to alternate the blocks I make with the blocks I receive in one quilt, making 48 blocks in total. How much better could it get? Lol! Thanks for putting me into the 3rd group as well! 2011 is going to be a lot of fun!
    -Dan

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

Kristene, I am always ready to join in as needed, so if you do need someone in your 3rd. group please remember me. I have been in 2 groups for the past 2. Sometimes there have been 3 or more in a month but it works. If you do just let me know. Jayne

• User
    13 years ago

Kristene,

I'd love to sign up for Group 3. I'm in Piece of Cake and already have 3 blocks done, and most of the fabrics already "baggied" for the others. My birthday falls between 2 of your requested months (September), and I was going to need to make a lot of extras anyway to make the quilt big enough for a queen sized bed. So, for me, doing birthday blocks would just replace what I was already planning on doing as far as work load, but make it much more interesting!

Kay

• User
    13 years ago

Kristene,

I'd love to sign up for Group 3. I'm in Piece of Cake and already have 3 blocks done, and most of the fabrics already "baggied" for the others. My birthday falls between 2 of your requested months (September), and I was going to need to make a lot of extras anyway to make the quilt big enough for a queen sized bed. So, for me, doing birthday blocks would just replace what I was already planning on doing as far as work load, but make it much more interesting!

Kay

• Kristene Smith
    13 years ago

Have noted down Quiltpartner, Nanajayne and Kay_in_pa as interested in being in the 3rd group as well. At the moment we are waiting to see if there are any quilters who have not signed up for any group yet before we assign more people to their 2nd group.

So if you are thinking of signing up, now is the time to "jump on in"!

Group 3 has 5 places taken, so there are 8 places available. If no additional participants sign up in the next 2 weeks, then positions will be allocated to people who want to be in a second group.

It's not too late to sign up and get all the information before the end of October, thus getting a head start for next year.

Kristene (TinyTeena)

• irisnquilt
    13 years ago

WOW!! I didn't even know this forum existed but sign me up pretty please!!

I've been quilting/piecing for over 15 years now and I think I'm good! I sell my quilts and do commission work so I must be doing something right! I have done previous swaps, seeds and a round robin so hopefully that qualifies me! :)

I don't understand the block portion but I'll learn!

Thanks for offering this!
    Kim, Michigan

• Kristene Smith
    13 years ago

Welcome to the Birthday Blocks Kim! I've sent the rules and block information to you. Let me know if you accept and I can then send you the sign up form.

Still more places available in this 3rd Group

Kristene (TinyTeena)

• wynative
    13 years ago

Jeanne,

I sent my information out awhile back - hope you got it :)
    Marie

• Kristene Smith
    13 years ago

Marie (wynative)
    Yes, we received your information and you are in Group 2: "Make a Wish". I sent out the complete group's information a week ago. If you didn't receive it, please let me know and I will resend it.

Kristene (TinyTeena)

• irisnquilt
    13 years ago

Haven't received anything yet . . will send an email directly to you!

Thank you!

Kim

• Kristene Smith
    13 years ago

Kim (irisnquilt) I have sent the information to you again to your home email, so hopefully you receive it this time

Kristene (TinyTeena)

• Kristene Smith
    13 years ago

Welcome to Kim (Irisnquilts)who has signed up for the 3rd group in our Birthday Block Exchange. Still a few spots available in this group so if you are considering joining, NOW IS THE TIME to jump on in!

Kristene (TinyTeena)

• Kristene Smith
    13 years ago

Mary (tuppermom) is joining our 3rd group. Just in the process of choosing her block and filling in her form.

Still a few vacant places to go .......

Kristene (TinyTeena)

• Kristene Smith
    13 years ago

Mary(tuppermom) has sent back her completed sign up form, so Welcome Mary to the 3rd Group. We now have 7 in this group, without any quilters doubling up at the moment. With 6 places available NOW is your opportunity to join in. Send me an email and I'll send you the rules and approved blocks (over 150 to choose from), then the sign up form.
    Kristene (TinyTeena)

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kristene -
    Thanks so much for handling sign ups and sending out information for the last two weeks. I am ready to take over for awhile, but I have not been able to get any e-mail delivered to you since last Wednesday --- at least I think that is the last time it went through. Is there a way you can check to see if there is a problem? It comes back saying "----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    Pretend your e-mail address is listed here
    (reason: 550 you are not allowed to send mail to and pretend your e-mail address is listed here.
    Of course when sending it, I use the "real thing." A few others (not connected with GardenWeb) are also having this problem and their e-mail is not going through to you either. Once we can communicate again and I can get the list of who is signed up for Group 3, we will be all set for me to welcome new members for a few weeks to give you a breather! Wonder what is going on with your e-mail? It looks like some of your e-mail must be getting through to you.
    Hope you had a great weekend. I sure did!
    Jeanne

• Kristene Smith
    13 years ago

Welcome back Jeanne! Hope you and everyone else had a great time at the Quilting Retreat. Wasn't very busy here, could handle the sign ups easily myself.

I checked with the technical department of my server and they said there was no problem our end. They said the problem must be with the server used by the others in the US, so get them all to check with their servers please.
    So now Jeanne will follow up all queries for the next week

Kristene

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, any questions or people wishing to join Group 3, just let me know. We would like to keep this open for others to join in for another few weeks - or at least until the spaces fill up - and then if needed, I think we have enough people willing to join two groups so that the 3rd group can be formed.
    I sure hope Kristene and I can figure out why my messages are not going through to her. It is so strange!
    If you don't normally read about Camp Cheerio, take a look at the recent postings. This was my first year attending and it was lots of fun and several who attended are also in our Birthday Block Exchange Groups.
    Jeanne

• Kristene Smith
    13 years ago

Just bumping this up to get it back onto page 1 again.
    Any more quilters interested in joining the 3rd Birthday Block Group? There are still a few spots available and time is running out before we close and offer the remaining places to those who want to be in two groups.

Kristene (TinyTeena)

• justamomofsix
    13 years ago

Hello,

I am interested in doing the birthday block exchange if there is still room. I was at a retreat last weekend with Jeanne and a couple of others who are in the block exchange and they made it sound like a lot of fun! Just let me know what information you will need from me.

Thank you,
    Katherine (justamomofsix)

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Katherine,
    You will enjoy the birthday block exchange - I just know it! Yes, it is fun to receive your blocks on your birthday, but it's also fun and interesting making the blocks for the members of your group and sometimes it can be challenging too! We're so glad to have you join in!

Teresa

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, Katherine -
    So happy to hear you want to join in on the fun! I cannot access your e-mail address through GardenWeb so please send an e-mail message to me and I will send out the list of blocks and the rules. If everything looks okay to you, I will send you the sign up form and you can pick your block, style, colors, etc.
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
    Jeanne

• wynative
    13 years ago

Kristene,

I haven't recieved my list - could you please resend it?

Thanks and enjoy your day!
    Marie
    PS
    I love my group name :D

• justamomofsix
    13 years ago

Jeanne,

I have sent you an email. Let me know if you don't get it. I have gone into my gardenweb account and updated it, so you should be able to email that way too. I am still figuring out the ins and outs of gardenweb.

I am very excited about getting started!!

Thanks,
    Katherine

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Katherine,
    I got the block list and the rules sent to you with no problem. So glad you are interested in joining in. I will get back in touch with you by Thursday if not sooner.

Let me take just a moment to encourage anyone else who wants to join in to get in touch with me or Kristene soon.
    I know that 2011 sounds like months away... and it is... but we like to e-mail the list of members to the groups so they can possibly make a block or two before all the holiday busy work begins - which means we try to get the lists e-mailed to everyone by early November - that way if there is an early January birthday, those blocks can be taken care of and put away for mailing until closer to the birthday. The trick to that part is remembering where you put your blocks so you can get them out to mail them! I'll bet that has slowed down a person or two and I can see my memory playing tricks on me like that, too!

For anyone reading this after the list for Group 3 gets sent out, you can still contact us to see if we get a lot of late sign ups or in case we might have someone drop out and need a fill in person.

Anyway, we hope everyone is doing fine and we are "Busy Bees" here trying to prepare for the upcoming year!

Jeanne & Kristene

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Katherine will be joining in on the birthday fun!

I just checked with Kristene and we still need one or two more quilters in order to have the full number for Group 3. This number "still needed" includes any of you who have already indicated to one of us that you are willing to be in two groups, so if you did that, you have been counted.

Certainly there is another quilter who would like to be a part of this for 2011. Let us hear from you!

Jeanne

• justamomofsix
    13 years ago

Thank you all for letting me join the exchange. I am really excited and ready to get started!!

Katherine

• Nancy Morris
    13 years ago

If you have space, please put me down. Thanks, Nancy (Stitches)

• wynative
    13 years ago

Kristene and/or Jeanne,

If you still need another person for group #3 - I would like to join that one also. I will be picking a different block though. Let me know and I will get the information out to you ASAP :D

Marie
    PS - I am in Aug. if that helps.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I didn't want anyone to feel forgotten. Kristene is working with the list this week and has gotten back in touch with some who are awaiting an assignment to Group 3. You will hear from her soon. Nancy, glad to see that you would like to be in the exchange again next year --- and Marie, we thank you and others for volunteering to be in an extra group if needed. Thank you so much.
    I hope everyone is having a good week. We finally got some rain here. I think we went 25 days without rain which is unusual this time of the year and the temperatures have mostly been in the 80s and above. This week it is even staying ablove 60 degrees at night. So strange! I am still picking peppers and tomatoes!
    Jeanne

• Kristene Smith
    13 years ago

The 3rd group is now complete with the inclusion of Nancy (stitches). This group is to be called "Ribbons and Bows". I have written out all the details for each person in the group and am now just waiting on Nancy (stitches) to send me her information. As soon as I have that, I will email the completed group information to you all.

We now have 3 people on our emergency list, willing to fill in if someone has to withdraw. If anyone else would like to be on this list, then let me know.

From emails I've received, we have some very keen quilters indeed. Some people have completed half or more of next year's blocks already! This will save a lot of time next year and ensure they send their blocks out early for each person's birthday. Well done!

Kristene

• irisnquilt
    13 years ago

I hope we get this info soon . . It's already November and with the impending holidays time will be limited for January birthdays. Do we have a cut off date for this last person to respond? I'm not trying to cause havoc just my first time and I really want to do a good job so I can join for the following year/s.

Kim

• Kristene Smith
    13 years ago

Kim,
    The only birthday in January for "Ribbons and Bows" is mine and my block choice is a simple 9 patch block using 5" squares - it's the first step only of the "Butterfly Block", so your part is very easy to do.

I've written to Nancy(stitches) a number of times but still haven't heard back from her. Tonight I wrote again and said if I do not hear back from her with her information and block choice and colors by Sun night 31st Oct, then the final position will be given to someone from the fill in list.

So everyone in Ribbons and Bows, you can expect your list early next week.

Kristene

• Kristene Smith
    13 years ago

After still no word from Nancy (stitches)for a week, no sign up information or block choice, we have had to give this final place in the 3rd group to someone on "the fill-in list". So tonight I have posted out "Ribbons and Bows" group list to each participant. Please let me know if you have any problems downloading or any mistakes in your information.

Nancy (stitches) if you complete the sign up form I sent to you and return it, you can be on "the fill-in" list in case someone needs to be replaced at another time.

Kristene

• irisnquilt
    13 years ago

I got my list!!! WOO HOO a reason to go fabric shopping!! LOL Looks like this is going to be lots of fun!