SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

What to do about the Birthday Block Exchange for 2012 ?

sandlapper_rose
12 years ago

We are asking those who have been participating in the Birthday Block Exchange this year and in the past and those who may be intereted in signing up for 2012 to give us some input. I started discussing this under the July 2011 discussion heading. We got many comments so far that indicate it might be good to take a year off from doing this and return to take sign ups again towards the end of 2012 for the birthdays in 2013.

...but we want to know what everyone thinks about this!!!

If you want to see this take place next year, we begin with the sign ups early in the fall so we would like to get some feedback and make a decision. Did you like the rules that were in place this year? Do you want to see some changes? Is there someone (or a team of two) who would like to be coordinators for next year? That is not to say that Kristene and I will not do it, but we have never felt that it is our birthday block exchange. It was here before we stepped in and belongs to all those who participate. New coordinators are certainly welcome to step in here.

Everyone seems to think the Birthday Block Exchange is fun and wants to see it continue - we just wonder if a break for a year might be a good thing - allowing us to participate in some areas we have not done like the lottos, a challenge, a row or round robin, or maybe just take the time to complete quilts from the birthday blocks we have on hand. (For several years now, some in the exchange have graciously agreed to be in multiple groups so we had enough participants. When you do that for several years, it takes awhile to get the quilts made!)

It is my suggestion that even if the usual exchange does not take place next year that we should still have a heading here and have some activites like charm or fat quarter swaps, maybe a contest or two, and continue to keep in touch and share pictures of our Birthday Block Exchange quilts as we complete them. That thread would be here for all who have been members of the exchange. I will also suggest that for 2012, we could have signs ups to send to a "Birthday Secret Pal." The coordinator of that would assign someone to send one quilt related package to you on your birthday month or we could have a larger group that sends out cards. Either could be grouped by the full year or by the quarter to simplify things. With any of these, do you want to see guildelines in place for who can join? Should it be open to people regardless of when they have joined the Quilt Forum?

Ideas... ideas... ideas... These are just some that have been tossed in for our consideration.

Quilters, we want to hear from you. Let's discuss what we want to do. Okay?

Thanks so much!

Jeanne

Comments (26)