SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oncorhynchus

asbestos disclosure

oncorhynchus
17 years ago

Here is the situation,

We bought our 1940's house a year and a half ago. this past week I was working in the attic sealing the air leaks in our duct work which is wraped on what looks for all of the world like old grey corrugted cardboard. I was pealing of strips around the joints in the ducts and applying mastic. well, three days later through chance I discovered that that insulation is without a doubt asbestos. I have now been exposed and will have to deal with that. I have read through our home inspection and while it does state that it is not a hazardous materials inspection, he wrote that the duct insulation is thin and worn in several places. Next I read our sales agreement, the boiler plate in it has a statement that the buyer acknowleges that asbestos may be present (this is the same language in all contracts in our state as far as I can tell). The thing is that someone at some point tried to paint over the insulation with spray paint. which means that someone knew what it was and tried to seal it in (not very effectively though) somehow this was not disclosed to either us or maybe even the people we bought from when they bought the house. What are the rules about disclosure? If I can figure out who painted over it is there any action I can take to at least cover the cost of removal? what is reasonable? This stuff did not look like most common asbestose materials and I had no way to know what it was, If I had known it would certainly have affected our decision to buy the house as it was already deteriorated at that point. I would appreciate any insight into how to proceed. Are we on our own to deal with this? Thanks in advance

Comments (9)