SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dweenoleena

Selling a house with deferred maintenance

dweenoleena
16 years ago

Hello -

We have been living for about 5 years in a house we bought after only 2 days of looking. We moved to this town with a one-year-old child and a dog, and decided to get into a place quickly rather than rent at all. We grabbed the house that fit our needs best that was up for sale that week and in our price range.

My husband is a music teacher, I'm a graphic designer and was a stay-at-home mom for the first 3 years we were here, until our child went into preschool. We were living on sort of a desperate shoestring for those years I wasn't working. Things are better now that I am working, but there is quite a bit of deferred maintenance on the house. We have spent quite a bit of time trying to recover from that income deficit, and things have begun to look up financially.

Now that we've been living here some years we have a better idea of the neighborhoods available and also have different ideas of what we want in a house. The house we're in now was built in 1973, and built so cheaply, it's really kind of awful. Popcorn ceilings in every room, for instance. The people we bought it from did a quick flip with it, used the cheapest materials they could, put in carpeting without stretching it...you name it. We could put a bunch of money into getting the ceilings scraped and all the trim replaced and the cheesy, featherlight doors replaced...but it's just not going to make it into a nice house.

I am coming into a modest inheritance, probably within 3-4 months. We plan to move to a better neighborhood and into a better house at that point.

My question is: how much of the deferred maintenance has to be done before we sell? I know buyers want a house they don't have to work on, but if we're going to have to pay for the work either out of the house price or out of our pockets, it would be a lot less disruptive of our lives to let it come out of the house price.

A quick synopsis of what needs to be done: exterior paint, roofing, carpet replace in all rooms, wooden deck teardown and replace in the back yard, cabinets in the kitchen updating/replacing, repair laminate flooring in kitchen, re-do bathroom (including replacing vanity with a pedestal sink, replacing tub insert, and replacing flooring).

In my gut, what I want to do is just walk away from this house, sell it for what we can get for it, and have done. I'm exhausted just thinking about doing all the legwork to get quotes for all the work to be done.

Will we be ahead money-wise if we do the work first? Are we likely to recoup the cost of the work in the sales price? Will there be an advantage to US? I know there is a perceived advantage to the realtor and the buyer - the realtor wants a pretty, easy house to sell and so on. However, if we were looking at spending 40K on deferred maintenance, and just knocked 40K off the house price instead, wouldn't that be even (and would have the added benefit for us of not having to live through the disruption).

I'm finding the prospect of doing all this work before being able to put the place on the market is so daunting that I don't even want to look for another place. I can't be the only person who has gone through this. Can you folks give me the benefit of your ideas on this?

Comments (40)