SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
outsdthenrom

Selling an outdated, ill kept house, cluttered house

outsdthenrom
16 years ago

Every time we look I am surprised at how many people selling their home don't do anything to make it the least bit appealing.

They keep the fusia shag carpet and UGLY dark wood panneling.

I understand that not every one has the means but sometimes it isn't about means as much as lazyness. If you are going to vacate your home before it sells paint over the dingged and scuffed areas on the walls.

Don't allow Friends and family to use your empty house for storage (which we see alot).

Get rid of the clutter. I can't stand being in someone's house who has a ton of things everywhere. Even though it will be gone if we buy it I still don't want that image in my head.

If you have that many things to store, dust, go around, and shop for, I don't think that you are spending time taking care of the house, only the gazillion things in it. It is much cheaper to rent a storage facility than to not be able to sell.

I had friend who was trying to sell her house and she left all her stuff everywhere, Photos, statues, chachkis, extra pieces of furniture and the like. I asked her if her REA said anything she said "no". When she moved one book case (only housing photos) there was something growing on the wall behind it.

Why don't the REA say something to their clients. There are tactful ways of telling someone their house is looking like it has no storage or that these things are taking attention away from the house.

Also cut down the giant, overgrown, and neglected bushes blocking every window in front. If I drive buy and see that I won't go in. That is a clue as to how you have been taking care of the property the entire time you have lived there.

Lastly if you don't want to do anything stop pricing your house the same as the guy down the street who's house has the same lay out. That guy took the time the touch-up and update his house. THat is why he sold.

I am not trying to be harsh just realistic. We are buyers and about 90% of the homes on the market have one or all of these issues. We are looking in the $500,000 range so it isn't like we are looking at low income areas.

These are everyday things. THey don't cost a lot of money.

Comments (45)