SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncamy_gw

My white kitchen is preventing my house from selling :(

ncamy
15 years ago

I have a very beautiful, large and functional custom kitchen in my house that is for sell. Like most people in my area the showings have been slow and the sells few and far between. However I am flabbergasted that the most often negative comment left by prospective buyers is "didn't like the white kitchen."

I know that white is not for everybody, but from some of the comments you'd think we've committed a crime. I do not exaggerate when I say that 90% or more of the other existing homes in my neighborhood just have stock "fake wood" cabinets and I can't believe that buyers find that preferable. I have very expensive custom cabinetry with lots of bells and whistles, lots of unique storage and glass fronts, even more built in appliances than 95% of the other homes. We're the only house I know of that has 2 sinks (a prep plus main, both with disposals.)

We have solid surface counters and not stone, but then neither do most of the homes in my neighborhood. I'd say about 50% are laminate, 35% solid surface and 15% stone. Our kitchen is also about 2.5 times larger than most kitchens in our neighborhood but with a very functional layout. There is nothing odd or garish about our kitchen. The tile is tasteful. The paint is pleasant. The window treatments are nice. We have beautiful wood floors. I know that it sounds like I am biased but I'm really basing these opinions on things others, professional and casual have said.

Now I know that there is room for improvement. I feel that there is a bit too much white: the appliances, the heavy white moldings and trim, the tiles (except for the accents), the countertops and the cabinets. My kitchen is 10 years old. If I were designing it today there are a few minor things I would change, but honestly not much. The thing is that all of the other houses in my area are also 10 years old. From viewing many kitchens on this forum and in magazines and on TV shows, it is obvious that my kitchen is not outdated. So why are so many people opposed to a white kitchen????

Comments (45)