SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beths96

For selling, should I re-paint my red dining room/kitchen?

beths96
10 years ago

Hi everyone. Our family is probably going to move soon, and as soon as we put an offer on a house, we're going to list our current home. I have been working hard the past few months, touching up woodwork that has been scratched, cleaning like crazy, decluttering and organizing closets, etc. to prepare for listing our home. I also painted two rooms in a more neutral color. One was my son's room, which had navy blue and red stripes. It's now a nice taupe color.

I have two questions. 1, This past summer, before we were sure about the move, I painted my daughter's room a very, very pale pink, and decorating with black accents (curtains, comforter, lamp, etc). Should I re-paint her room? We have a three bedroom home, and two of the bedrooms have the same taupe color. To make it look better, should I paint her room as well? The only problem is that she isn't thrilled about the move, and she really wants her pale pink room to stay the same.

2. In 2004/2005, we remodeled our kitchen and dining room. We have craftsman-style molding in the dining room that goes 3/4 of the way up from the floor, which is painted white. The top 1/4 of the wall is a color that's no longer made by SW called Barn. It's a warm, brownish-red. Our kitchen has all white shaker cabinets with crown molding, white subway tile backsplash with gray grout, and dark gray laminate counters. We also have stainless appliances and hardwood floors. I carried the red into the kitchen, so above the cabinets is red. (I have 42" cabinets).

I love the red, and it looks beautiful when our blinds are up and you look into the house from the sidewalk. But we live in an area that is very much into "country" or "primitive" decorating, and oak trim and oak cabinets are the norm, along with white walls. Our house will probably be looked at by young families due to the finished basement and yard and location...so do you think I should repaint? My living room is a nice dark taupe color. Maybe I should paint in the dining room, too? The good thing is that the white molding takes up a lot of the wall.

Thank you!
Beth

Comments (36)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!