SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniebeagle

Move into a rent house while selling current house?

Jenny
9 years ago

I'm trying to figure out if this is a good idea or not. It seems like it, but I may be missing something. :)

Here's the situation... We want to sell the house we've lived in for 14 years. We have two children with baby #3 on the way. We could make do with the space in our current home, but we would really like to have four bedrooms and more land. We looked for land and houses with a realtor all last summer (without putting our house on the market), and couldn't find anything we loved. So, the idea of selling our house and buying a new one all at the same time seems very unlikely to happen. We won't be able to find what we want in that time crunch, so temporary housing after our house sells will probably be in our future. Also, the idea of keeping our house show-ready while taking care of three kids, including a newborn, gives me a just a bit of anxiety.

Here's the possible solution... Some friends of ours have been living in a rent house, but are getting ready to move out because they bought a new home. I like their rent house. It's in a great location just a few minutes away from where we live now. It has the four bedrooms we need, and the rent is very reasonable. I've been looking around, and most of the houses for rent in our area are not as nice and/or have higher rent. We are thinking of renting it as soon as they move out in the next month or so, and then living there while we get our current house ready to sell. We would plan to live in the rent house for at least a year (a 1-year lease will be required). We would, obviously, be paying rent and utilities at the rent house and also still paying our mortgage and the basic utilities at our current house until it sells. My husband feels pretty confident that our budget can handle this scenario for a few months.

So... Here are what I think are the pros and cons:

Pros:
-Moving out of our house before selling will make it easier to have repairs done before we list it, and then once we do list it, showings will be easier since we won't be living there.
-Finding an affordable house to rent in our area may be difficult, so securing this one before we list our house will make the transition less stressful.
-We get the bigger house we need right now without depleting our savings on a down payment, and are not rushing into buying a house we may not really love.

Cons:
-Being responsible for both rent and mortgage (plus utilities) at both houses.

Here are my potential worries... What if our house takes forever to sell, and we're stuck paying both the rent and the mortgage for a long time? What if after living in the rent house for a year and selling our current home, we still can't find a place we want to buy?

Thoughts? Is this something you would consider doing? Like I said, it seems like a good idea to me since the rent house is nice and affordable (which may not be something we'll easily find later on if we wait to sell our house first), and the thought of living in our house while selling makes me completely stressed out. If you could afford to move out before selling your home, would you do it? I appreciate any advice. :)

Comments (35)