SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

OT: selling a house to start renting

palimpsest
9 years ago

I have started working with a sometimes client who is planning to sell his house so he can add to his retirement fund, and he will rent. He is in his early 50s.

I know about what he paid for the house, but I also know he has refinanced and he has probably refinanced to cash out at whatever the current property value was--but he may be on a 15 year mortgage.

I dunno, but my father always said that it was a bad idea to sell a house if you needed money (unless maybe if you owned it outright and it was an expensive property). He said you generally *still ended up needing money and on top of it had no place to live, without paying rent to someone else --no equity.

It's not my job to council this client financially, it's my job to get estimates on contractors to install air conditioning and refinish the floors, and some other repairs on the advice of the Realtor. It's a small house but the AC will Not be cheap and there is no possibilty of any DIY on the part of this client regarding flooring and other fixups.

I just can't imagine that this is a winning situation for this client where he may need to invest $20K to make the house saleable, walk away with a little bit of cash and then end up renting at near the same cost as his monthly expenses now unless he moves into a bad neighborhood.

Am I missing something here? I don't think it would be worth it unless I was walking with just under the amount where capital gains taxes kicked in, and I *know that's not the situation with this client.

Comments (33)