SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whitmax

Sell or rent??!!

leigh m
6 years ago

I bought my first house this past September in Oregon City..in the portland, oregon metro area. It's a big old house--very unique and cool in a great location. I think I got a good deal in the sense I paid asking price with all my closing costs paid. But it's an FHA 3.5 percent loan, so great in the sense I got in cheap but bad in the sense I have to pay high PMI.

Now, I found out I will need to move a bit out of the Oregon City area for my job into another metro area in PDX in 6 months to a year. Timing is flexible though. Without going into details, due to traffic and school situation for my child, it would make no sense to stay in OC and make it work...so that option is off the table. I will have to move to this other area and frankly would love to because I like the area better.

Trying to keep a long story short, I have two options here:

Option one is to sell the house. Because I have done some cosmetic updates and a couple of repairs..on top of the fact values have gone up a bit, the realtor I spoke to thinks I can get more than I paid.....but when all is said and done with commission and fees, I would likely just break even and be back where I started. If I found a way to sell with lower commission (FSBO), that would obviously make a difference financially but that option concerns me..as I hear selling without an agent can be a big risk.

Option two is to rent out the house, but looking at the rental market here in OC, I likely would not get more than $100-$200 over my monthly mortgage payment. However, my mortgage payment DOES include taxes and insurance. So is this smart or really stupid? I've heard in slower markets around the country, this would be unwise. But I've heard from other people who know the pdx market that say it would be smart to try and hold onto it as a rental. I would LOVE to rent it out as an airbnb but OC does not allow. (Very annoying...as this would be the best option for me given my experience.) On that note, I'm an experienced property manager for four busy Airbnb houses in Portland so I would be comfortable in the role of landlord.

Just feeling out my options right now and would appreciate feedback, advice, etc!??

Comments (15)