SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kailuamom_gw

Sell or rent in Hawaii

kailuamom
16 years ago

OY - i am having a heck of a time deciding to sell or rent out our home in Hawaii.

We bought for 1.1 mil in 05, have invested about $80K in a kitchen remodel, living room update, total interior repaint, window coverings, closet organizers and some landscaping. We are currently in a 4.625 IO loan which will start to adjust in September 2010. For now, the rental market is fairly good, we will be positive by about $600 per month. HOWEVER, once the loan adjusts and goes P&I, we would probably be negative by about $1000.

Real estate agent says I can get $1.299, which would essentially break even after costs and investment pulled out. Market is up in our area BUT typically follows the mainland - so don't have a crystal ball for 2010. Renovations are just complete so the house looks better than it will after renters move out.

Emotionally, this is killing me. tWe love the house and especially the excellent location. The renovations were done for me not to for flipping, so I am having a tough time letting go with no profit. managing a rental in Hawaii from CA is difficult - don't trust the property managers not to mention they are 10%. At the rent we get - that is a lot of money for answering the phone a couple of times.

Can anyone share perspective to help me with this?

Here is a link that might be useful: my craigslist rental ad

Comments (11)