SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
engprof

need input on floorplan for addition

EngProf
11 years ago

Hoping maybe for insight/input for my renovation plans?

The plan is to make the addition 13' wide x 35' deep/long, with LR/BA/BR for newly arriving in-law. Not doing a kitchen & cannot fit a walk-in closet. No desire for a separate entry.

The 13' width is firm due to setbacks; can go back more than 35' BUT existing home is only 25'deep (x36' wide). Cost and proportionality are issues. We will add upstairs area (master bath, dressing room, possible office) but I'm not there yet w/ design.

Issues:

* Don't love the location of the closet in the new bedroom, but I can't figure out an alternative. If there were no closet there, the wall would be 8'3" and be right next to the door OR to a hallway from the door. I cannot figure out whether it's enough to accommodate a headboard.

* Thought about having the wall of the addition overlap part of the existing dwelling -- maybe just 2' to allow a closet to be recessed -- but then I don't have a location for the AC compressors. Putting it behind the addition deprives that addition of a patio. Also the wall would be getting mighty close to the window of one downstairs BR (used as a den).

* Architect drew the downstairs bathroom w/ the door opening to obstruct the shower, not the linen closet, which I thought was weird. Maybe didn't want shower across from toilet? or near the exterior wall?

* We plan for 4' hallway so that we don't have a "tunnel" and so that we have wheelchair clearance if we ever need it. Does a 4' width make it more elegant? or just a waste?

* I did draw in a built-in bookcase at the rear wall of the front room, for books and storage and blocking noise from the bathroom. Should the edge go all the way to the corner of the wall @ hallway? or stop a few inches short of the corner?

* Haven't drawn in windows yet. Lazy. And that side of the house looks at the neighbor's house, so I'm unenthused by view.

Background on us:

* small Cape Cod, 2BR/1BA up & 2BR/1BA down

* close-in suburbs of major metro area; no McMansions

* homes have small footprint; upstairs master merely 14x14

* 2 adults, 2 dogs, no kids ever, & newly arriving in-law

Any input, observations, etc. would be super helpful.

Thanks!

Comments (15)