SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
primdawg

So excited, need floorplan input before builder meeting!

So we started this journey 3 years ago. We wanted to retire to the North Georgia mountains so we startEd looking at land, builders and plans. We found a few lots that we liked and some floorplans that gave us ideas. Then we found a builder that we really liked but he does limited homes and remodels outside of his spec builds. He told us he’d be happy to build for us but the wait was probably 2 years. This made us rethink the plan and we decided we would buy an existing home and renovate with another builder if need be. We have 9 dogs so finding a rental would have been next to impossible so I agreed with DH. We found a house that he liked, and I hated, but we both loved the locale and the lot right on a rushing river. We have had the place for 2 years and I have spent a bunch of time thinking and planning with the advice and input from folks here.

So here‘s the exciting and funny part. In December the cabin next to us sold and the new owners started a massive renovation. It was looking cool and I was thrilled to see it would be beautiful and up the overall value in the neighborhood. We were waiting and watching to see it getting done and hoping we could get a sneak peek at the finished Reno at some point. Week before last I get a piece of mail that should have gone to the new neighbor and am surprised to see the name on the mail is that of the builder who we wanted to use back then. I decided to hand deliver the mail to the house and was pleasantly surprised that our hoped for builder answered the door! He remembered me and invited me in to the house that they had literally just finished and furnished that day lol! He and his wife and daughter had just moved in. What are the odds of that? Anyway we got talking and I told him we still loved his work and wished he could do our renovation. He said he‘d love to. His plan is to stay in the house for 2 years and then sell, so he’ll be around and can easily oversee a renovation. He can’t start until late spring but that’s fine with us.

Anyway he‘s coming by next week to get a feel for what we are hoping to do. He has great ideas on his own obviously but he did say to get together some drawings to start from. I’m ok on what we want to do to the porch and basement but the bath on the main floor master may need more thought.

Due to some setback and neighborhood limitations we cant to a big add on, but we can do a bumpout to expand the space a bit. Luckily this is a bathroom that will be mostly a one person space and I have never needed what I call a “Hollywood” bath, just well appointed and and suited to the cabin.

So here it is now, the closet is at one end, which is my preference. I hate leaving the bathroom to go find clothes after my shower. Excuse the mess, still unpacking.

Comments (32)