SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
springlering_gw

What Should a 'Total Repipe' Include?

springlering
12 years ago

We bought a little bitty house to remodel, and shortly after, the pipes burst underneath.

I called a plumbing firm I've used for years at other properties, and they told us it needed replumbing from the sidewalk in.

Plumber pulled a permit, and gave us an invoice marked "total replumb", noting that it included bathroom fixtures, kitchen fixtures,water heater install, and w/d connection, as well as connections from street.

We have paid them for most of the work so far, even though they have raised the price nearly $1,000 from original estimate.

The work was just completed Friday, so we have not even used any fixtures yet except toilet and bathroom sink. Both sinks have leaked, shower was replaced for the third time yesterday, and is leaking again. Plumber #2 says #1 forgot to flush the lines, #3 blames the debris in the lines on the city. I live a few doors up, though, and I don't have debris coming in to my house.

When contacted to arrange the city plumbing inspection they refused to do so, saying it "wasn't their job", even though the City's permit forms clearly indicate it is.

So I went by the city to arrange an inspection myself, was told that the plumbing company should do that, explained the situation, and they called the plumber themselves, and were dumbfounded when told the same thing, so they arranged an inspector to come meet me at the house.

Inspector noted several problems, such as toilet not sealed round the floor, and said we had to have "water hammer arrestors" at the hot and cold spigots on the washer dryer, and to call the plumbers back out.

They are refusing to come, and inform me that "we've done 5,000 washing machine hookups in this city, and you are the first person who's needed this", and telling me that the inspector "doesn't know what he's talking about". Inspector has been with the City for twenty years, and we even provided plumber with the number of the applicable plumbing code.

So anyway, the gist of this is, am I unreasonable on expecting the plumber to have arranged the inspection, to make sure that the job met code, to assume that they would have known this and included in their original (and even their increased) estimates, and most of all, to assume that the few fixtures in the house don't leak? This is a large and reputable plumbing firm I've used for 20+ years.

Renovating this house has been fun, except that the plumbing issues have been absolute hell.

Comments (3)