SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Help finishing touches on DD's room - curtains

2ajsmama
14 years ago

DD's room is one of the few in the house that actually has all the trim finished (except the aprons under the windows). I bought these valances years ago when she was in toddler bed (have the crib-sized sheet & dust ruffle, plus extra fabric I was going to make a comforter with and never did). I just put the lamp with matching shade on her nightstand (painted but she likes it, I have 2 ceramic urn lamps that were mine when I was a girl for when she gets older). I don't want to be too "matchy-matchy" but I really like the valances, found these Shabby Chic rods on clearance at Target. How far out on either side of the window trim if doing just a valance over a roman shade? I don't want to make drapes even if I had enough fabric b/c the vanity - you can just see the top of mirror - overlaps the window stools a little (goof on builder's part - I had him space the windows far enough to fit the furniture b/t but he forgot about the stools!).

{{!gwi}}

with striped (tone on tone) roman

{{!gwi}}

farther away (courtesy of DS)

{{!gwi}}

I was originally going to put these valances on the kind of rod that wraps around the window (you know, the cheap metal kind). Would that look better than on these rods that stick out about 3" (huge brackets) and valance has to be flat? Should I cut them down so they're not so gathered? The window (trim to trim) is 41", the valances are about twice that.

Not to throw too many ?s out there, but also have the matching wallpaper border, but it's huge, and if I put the rod low enough (in rod pocket so there's about 1" header) to cover the attached valance on the shade, the rod is going to be about 1" above the trim, the header about 1" above that, and then the wide border at the ceiling will practically come down to the header. Should I use it (DD loves it), the smaller border I got that looks OK with the pattern, or no border at all?

Thanks

Comments (13)