SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goldgirl_gw

So has your gut instinct usually been right?

goldgirl
17 years ago

I haven't posted here for awhile, but some of you may remember that earlier this year we were trying to put a contract on a to-be-built house in a loose development (5 to 11 acres per house) that we loved. The builder was well-established in the area - he owned the business begun by his father and uncle many years ago - and was known for quality homes.

We were taken with other homes he had completed nearby and were the perfect buyers - had money in the bank from the sale of our previous home and were renting month-to-month. The negotiations kept going on and on and on and we (us, our agent and real estate attorney) couldn't figure out why it was so hard to get a contract in place. DH visited a few neighbors who had been living there for several years, and some of them said that while they love their house, they're not sure the trouble they had with the builder was worth it.

Finally, we walked away. My husband felt in his gut that something wasn't right. I thought he was crazy because other homes in the development had buyers and were going up. But, I agreed, because we needed to find a house and get settled sooner rather than later. The process was wearing us out.

So a few weeks later we found a spec house and lot, and moved in August. In many ways, our new home is a better match. But I have been occassionally thinking about the other place, and having some regrets that it didn't work out. In the meantime, we noticed that two homes that had been almost complete and close to settlement never seemed to close.

Last week we heard that both buyers backed out and the houses are on the market as unfinished construction. The lot/house that we were going to buy is now listed as land only. Apparently the guy has money tied up in another group of houses and can't afford to see these through.

So, in the end, I guess we ended up where were meant to be.

Have you found that your gut is right when it comes to real estate?

Comments (7)