SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rcoop_gw

Thinking of Purchasing home in a brand new community... Pros/Cons

rcoop
17 years ago

Hi,

I mainly lurk on the buying/ selling forum, but have a question for everyone regarding buying in a new community. We do not have a lot of communities where I live due to the fact that I am in a rural area.

We are looking at building on a lot in a new community that is very convenient to town. There are only 8 houses up so far. All houses are built by select builders and there is a community pattern book for them. If we buy soon, we will be able to get one of 10 waterview lots and build the house of our choice. The property is waterview because the neighborhood is Neo Traditional with waterfront parks along the water line. Most houses are across the road from the waterside but the lot we like is not. It is next to the community center. We could not buy a waterfront house for this price, even one that needed extensive work. Location and maintenance wise the lot appeals to us.

I am working up a pro/con list, but as I do not know much about communities, I was hoping that this forum might help me to anticipate problems that I might run into in this environment. I am hoping that as this house would be one of a few homes that is waterfront, I will be able to sell it in 5 to 10 years if we decide that we do not like living so close to people.

I have done an HOA search on this site and read a lot of information about different people's thoughts regarding the HOA aspect. Dues in this community will be over $2,000 a year and I am worried that might turn people off. However, my husband says the other comprable communities in this area have similar dues.

I appreciate any advice, experience, etc. that other people might have in regards to communites, especially new ones.

Thank you :-)

Comments (6)