SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blayz_gw

Pros and cons of community seedling pots?

blayz
16 years ago

These questions are primarily addressed to those of you out there who have successfully raised seedlings to maturity. I am wondering, is there is any advantage/disadvantage to putting seedlings in their own 4" pots when pricked out of the germinating tray, as opposed to growing them grouped together in larger pots (without crowding of course)?

I tried both methods with the massive flood of seedlings I started in 2003 and 2004. Unfortunately, because my growing conditions have been less than adequate, especially in winter, it is impossible to tell which approach is better. It is easier to look after them when grouped in pots, plus more can occupy the same space, but I'm not sure if it's stunting their development.

If one does grow them in groups, what spacing is needed? At what size does one finally graduate them to individual pots? My space is very limited, even with a new 8'X10'greenhouse to move into soon, so I would like to be able to grow as many as possible as fast as possible. Your thoughts please?

Blayz

Comments (14)

Sponsored
More Discussions