SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bud_wi

What is a *Sellers Inspection Certificate*?

bud_wi
16 years ago

In my tiny suburban town, the powers that be have sent out a newsletter informing everyone that each house is required to be inspected and receive a certificate of approval. These certificates will cost $100. The letter indicated that even numbered streets homes will all be inpected in 2008 and odd numbered streets homes in 2009. It said that anyone planning on selling soon should call the city hall to get an inspection done right away *in order to sell* their property. This is something new and the notice was very vauge on what this was all about, with no details as to exactly what they are looking for. Calls to city hall go unreturned. All my neighbors are up in arms about this and no one really understands what this new *sellers certificate* is. Everyone has their own theory. I do not see how this new program is needed on top of the regular inspections (harassment) that they already do and the fines they pile up on people.

My question is, can the town legally hold up a sale of a home if there is not a certificate on file? I do not see how they can stop a sale or have the power to hold it up. No real estate agent I asked has ever heard of this inspection certificate paperwork being required in my area. Others are wondering if the inspectors have a right to enter homes to inspect. One neighbor says they do not have the legal right to enter a home and go through it and he intends to refuse entry.

Another question I have is what good is a certificate if for instance, I get one in 2008 as required, and decide to sell in 2030? Wouldn't it have to be re-inspected? If it is a selling certificate why not just get them immediately before a sale? There is nothing in the letter we got indicating how often this certificate needs to be renewed, if ever. If it is a one time thing it does not make any sense to get one now. If this is going to be a yearly thing the neighbors and myself see this $100 'inspection fee' as an unfair "secret" tax. The town I live in is already the highest taxed municipality in the entire state and believe me, we get almost zero services. This is not a luxury neighborhood. The town council must be made up of people who are residents, and any goof can run for office and get elected without any eduational requirements. It is very much and 'ol boys network' of the same people who get re-elected over and over. I suspect graft and corruption, and incompetance that has drained out town coffers down to ZERO.

My town is made up of two main developments one that took place in the late forties and the other in the twenties and a strip of condos near the expressway, that were built in the ninties. All the homes are *very well kept up* so it is not a case of a blighted area being tackled to arrest further decline. This is a small town of 3000 residents and the entire area is about one square mile.

So, can anyone expain the legality of this *sellers inspection certificate*?

Comments (9)