SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindy_stephenson7215754

Seller’s roofer vs buyer’s roofer

Cindy Stephenson
4 years ago

We are selling our home and buyers inspection suggested a more thorough roof inspection due to some shingle granular loss in a few places. He submitted 4 pictures showing slight loss.

So we had a roofer whom our realtor recommended - honest and fair whom she has used in the past with both buyers and sellers - come inspect our roof as well. He came out that same day and said he could repair the shingles for about $1100. We specifically asked him if we should just get a new roof? It’s year 18 on a 25 year roof. He said it was not necessary - there’s at least 5-10 years left in our roof.

The buyers roofer, however, two days later, said we needed a total roof replacement immediately. The buyers have asked us to reduce the price of our house by $11k.

How can one highly respected roofer repair the roof for $1100 but another call for an “immediate” necessary replacement for $11,000? A $10k difference in price.

Should we say no and risk losing the sale (full price, no closing cost, contingent on sale of their home that sold in under a week so contingency was lifted)? Or do we offer to pay half? Or yikes - go ahead and give them the $11k?

When we originally listed we had an early start on the spring market. Now there’s a flood of competing homes on the market. I’m afraid the next offer won’t be full price, or they’ll ask for closing costs, etc. We don’t NEED the funds from this sale in order to close/move into our new home, but don’t want to make double mortgage payments either.

Ugh. What to do?!?! We don’t want to pay for items that aren’t necessary. Any suggestions?

Comments (5)

• Cindy Stephenson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

By “repair” I mean just replace the shingles in question

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    4 years ago

Do you have the 4 pictures that were taken? If you can upload them please.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

They aren't being unreasonable. Offer to pay 7 of the 11 and see what happens.

• Cindy Stephenson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here are the pictures from inspector:

• geoffrey_b
    4 years ago

An 18 year old roof - is about ready to be replaced - doesn't matter what the shingle guarantee states. However - I don't think they are entitled to a completely new roof. I go along with what Joe says.