SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barbcollins_gw

WWYD - Changing a street number

barbcollins
9 years ago

I know this doesn't really apply to Buying and Selling, but there are a lot of smart people here and I value their advice...

We have lived in our home for 13 years. Our street number is out of sequence from our neighbors. On one side they are 5307 and on the other they are 5321. We are 5302. We constantly have issued with UPS, Fedex etc, etc trying to find the house.

I called today and talked to the person at the county that handles this. It is a simple process and we can fill out a form to request a change and she will assign us a new number. When she looked it up on her maps she said "Yeah, you're on the wrong side of the street." She said she thought it was a good idea because if UPS can't find us, it's possible EMS and Fire would have trouble too.

She would handle notifying Assessments, USPS, Taxes, Utilities, 911 etc. I would have probably have to do a forwarding order at the Post Office, and would have A LOT of bills to change. We run a home based business, so it's a lot more than a typical household.

Would you do it? Is it worth all the hassle?

We do plan to sell the house in about 3-5 years. If I do it I think it would be better to do now, and get it all resolved before we actually move.

I checked and the street number IS NOT referenced on our deed.

Comments (15)